Magnum valve cover gaskets

-

BoostedLilRe

Reaction score
I can't seem to get my fabricated VC's to seal. Using the rubber gaskets with the metal inside. What is everyone using and had the best luck with?

are the valve covers true?

what are you torquing them down to?

are the valve covers true?

what are you torquing them down to?
13 inch/lbs and I have not checked the covers yet. Doing that this weekend. I was just wondering when looking at the gasket one end is wider than the other. So are these actually directional.

sounds like your doing it right
(seems to me most valve covers leak because people torque them down like they're installing headbolts)

Yea this was the last place I thought I would have a leak. But I'll take it apart this weekend and see what's going on.

Well I couldn't stand not knowing why it was leaking. So I went out to the garage took off Pass side VC and immediately I see the problem. We used ARP studs not bolts so when placing the VC and gasket on the head the rear stud nut is slightly higher than the bolt head would be and was holding the gasket up and when tightened and it broke the metal insert and tore the gasket. So now the question becomes can I trim the metal insert around the stud or will it brake again.

So...is the stud to wide to fit into the insert?
(Trying to picture the problem here)

Or do you mean the nut bottoms out on the stud before it pinches and seals the gasket?

(That makes no sense, it wouldn't damage the gasket, but it would seap all over)

If you look at a magnum VC gasket it is wider in the rear than it is in the front. So the extra 1/2 inch in the rear was resting on top of the head stud nut. And this caused the gasket to not sit flat when tighten down. The picture is just for reference of the VC's I am using.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
IMG_1477.JPG

-
Back