Magnum water neck/tstat clear answer needed

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
I've heard a myriad of things on the Magnum Edelbrock manifold's water neck. I know the stock Magnum gasket works, but what water necks and t-stats work? I've heard slant t-stats work, Chevy water necks, and such, but I want to go to a parts store with a good idea in mind.

Unfortunately, a stock Magnum neck isn't going to work for my application - it's way too tall!

do you meen what water neck housing or what thermostat ??,the earlier mopars use a bigger t stat then modern,,the modern use same size as a gm,,

its the spacing on the t stat housing that some times is diferent,,mopar has a t neck,that has a 90 degree curve in it,,,but it is for the bigger t stat,,i use a GM, t stat housing on my 340 it faces out not up like a mopar,,but it uses the smaller more modern t stat,,and the gm HOUSING HAS THE MOPAR BOLT PATTERN,, but i had the housing machined to accept the t stat lke a mopar housing,, a slant 6 housings bolt pattern is different then a 318/340,,and im sure your magnum is the same bolt pattern as a v8..measure your bolt pattern on ur engine,, i have a slant 6 housing,,you can have cheap if it will work for you,,,let me know il get pics if you need,,

This housing is from Mancini racing. It looks just like the one I've seen come on the Magnum crate motors.
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/waternecks.html

Magnum waterneck.jpg

do you meen what water neck housing or what thermostat ??,the earlier mopars use a bigger t stat then modern,,the modern use same size as a gm,,

its the spacing on the t stat housing that some times is diferent,,mopar has a t neck,that has a 90 degree curve in it,,,but it is for the bigger t stat,,i use a GM, t stat housing on my 340 it faces out not up like a mopar,,but it uses the smaller more modern t stat,,and the gm HOUSING HAS THE MOPAR BOLT PATTERN,, but i had the housing machined to accept the t stat lke a mopar housing,, a slant 6 housings bolt pattern is different then a 318/340,,and im sure your magnum is the same bolt pattern as a v8..measure your bolt pattern on ur engine,, i have a slant 6 housing,,you can have cheap if it will work for you,,,let me know il get pics if you need,,

Uhh, I'll try to fish as much information as I can out of the post. The issue is, I have heard that the Edelbrock intake for a Magnum (#7577) has a different thermostat and thermostat housing than either an LA or a stock Magnum.

I have personally tried two Chevy water necks/thermostat housings/water outlets on the manifold, and neither lines up with the Mopar bolt pattern. I was simply trying to find out what WOULD work.

The link given in the second post looks like it'll have to do the trick, but I still need to make sure. I guess I'll call Edelbrock to make sure.

I have an Eddy magnum Airgap and the stock thermostat off a 91 360 fits just fine. I like you would like to get a billet one but knowone seems to make.

ok i am pondering getting a magnum,and possibily using a carb, i have looked at the mopar end eddy carb intake,both are pricey the mopar cheaper,,,

what thermostat is it the smaller style,,as a stock magnum uses like a traditional gm ??

'79-'91 318, to '92 on 360.
All I have ever seen on that era is the steel housing, either chromed or natural.

A certain vehicle in '91 uses an aluminum one, but it's so twisted around to clear the A/C compressor it's not viable for anything else.

Mark.

2-13-2009007.jpg

I used the same one Charger70 said. Works fine on my Edelbrock RPM Air Gap for magnum heads. Just order everything for a 1985 Dodge Diplomat with a 318-2 and you'll get the right thermostat housing and thermostat.

Gold: Did you have any serious problems with the bypass hose on the Magnum intake? The angles looked pretty sever when I eyeballed mine.

its pretty severe, but since i properly tightened the clamp, I haven't seen any leaks. If you have a stock type fitting to use instead of the edelbrock one, you'll be quite a bit better off.

-
Back