Magnum with LA air gap intake and serpentine

-

nates68

Reaction score
I have read a few threads on using a complete ram serpentine setup with aftermarket intakes for magnum, but not for LA drilled eq heads and intake. My motor is a magnum 5.9 but heads are eq with LA bolt holes and a LA edelbrock air gap. I wanted the option to change intakes later so I chose LA for the options.
The main issue is the thermostat as you can see in the pic. Maybe a inline thermostat and low profile non-thermostat housing?
Thanks
Nates68

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Most of the ones I have seen have had that corner cut off the AC bracket to clear the thermostat housing.
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to stabilize it a different way if needed.

Or heck there might even be a conversion bracket by now.

Yeah, I have been staring at it and that would make it so easy. Just can't bring myself to cut it yet. I know some just cut it and run it with 3 bolts, that would bug me
Nates68

In the bottom photo you posted, could you do some trimming on the far left bottom and tig and ear on there, to hit that bolt hole on the stand, on the manifold?

The "improved" software blows

stand.jpeg

In the bottom photo you posted, could you do some trimming on the far left bottom and tig and ear on there, to hit that bolt hole on the stand, on the manifold?

The "improved" software blows

View attachment 1714946873

I was just going to trim that post down, the cast bracket is bolted to the front of the engine. Thinking of making a bracket to go from the thermostat bolts to
bottom of a/c compressor if I cut the corner off the factory one.

I was just going to trim that post down, the cast bracket is bolted to the front of the engine. Thinking of making a bracket to go from the thermostat bolts to
bottom of a/c compressor if I cut the corner off the factory one.

I thought about that also, but couldn't decide on how to support it off the thermostat housing bolt without it looking rigged.
Maybe come off that stand Del mentioned with a stud and a couple of nylon lock nuts, washers and rubber grommets like for shocks.
Just a thought.

I guess I'm not understanding using the post on the intake. Unlike a LA motor, the magnum has all its support in the cast bracket, with no connection to the intake. Are you thinking a bar that crosses over to bolt to the underside of the compressor?
Worried that even with the bracket cut the ram truck compressor will be in the way. Here's a pic of mine in my truck (convenient,no?) notice the extra tabs and hole? Thinking of using the one closer to the front and sawing the back tab off. Drill and tap new hole in bracket.
Well see
Nates68

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I thought about that also, but couldn't decide on how to support it off the thermostat housing bolt without it looking rigged.
Maybe come off that stand Del mentioned with a stud and a couple of nylon lock nuts, washers and rubber grommets like for shocks.
Just a thought.

Oh and thanks all for the help, really want to come up with a repeatable solution for everyone considering this setup.
Nates68

Oh and thanks all for the help, really want to come up with a repeatable solution for everyone considering this setup.
Nates68

A good repeatable solution would be a bracket made for doing it. :D

That not being the case I was thinking something along this line.
Cut out that corner and then a stud on the other corner if there's reasonable attaching area for it somehow.

image.jpeg

stud.jpeg

Last edited:
Do the heads have the Magnum intake pattern too? That would be the most correct way to put a Magnum style intake on it.

I guess. As it is now, he has no clear solution. The intake is one.
True enough.
I had that choice to make when I got my EQ heads and went LA pattern only, and I have a feeling this is what he did also.
Sure would suck to change heads because of an AC bracket. :D

I swapped intakes when I did my frankenteen build. LA 318 and Magnum heads. The chinkesium didn't allow the serpentine bracket to fit, so I swapped intakes.

...and you said you used the LA bolt pattern for more options? Seems to me you painted yourself into a corner.

Meeting with CNC fab shop next week.
Looking at making an aluminum water neck that is offset. If I can get the thermostat in great, if not will use an inline one.
Nates68

Ok can have one made on CNC from billet alum. I will post a pic of my mock up part. Going to make a thread to see who all has interest as the more made=cheaper price.
One other option is to use a Weiand supercharger offset neck, but it's $180, for a Chevy,and strange looking.
Nates68

Search for the post titled "5.9 with rpm intake and serpentine". It has a similar discussion that should prove helpful.

-
Back