Magnume solid roller lifters not oiling

-

Jerry sexton

Reaction score
I have a fresh built 360 strocker x408 balanced bored new cam bearings all oil gallery holes and plugs in first start up 80 pound on oil pressure but no oil to roller rocker armes 190 trick flow heads dual spring240 LPS. @ 2.000 installed hiegth
600 lps.@ 1.250 open
500 lps./ ince rate
.700 max lift
Harlin sharp shaft rocker arm s720026k 1.6
Comp cam solid roller 576 intake ×582 exhaust lift
Howard 91734 solid roller lifters
I did prime rocker arm assy and block at oil pump the oil filled the shafts op and oil dripped out of shafts and at rocker arm push rod tips push rods are hollow
On a side note there is no provision to oil the valve spring and valve stem tip with these Harlin sharp rockers at all the company says it don't need it
I have no oil to the rocker assy it looked like the oil is gush or oozing out of the bottom of lifter as the motor rotates
My question is these lifters Howard's says are not to for use with magnum engines but looking at Hughes web site it says they are for use with magnum too the statment mentioned it
on the sale product page For the howard 91734 lifter yet when the box of lifters arrived it says not for use with magnum so I called and Hughes assured me thar is what everyone is running on magnum they the guy says try them then call us. "not before !"
So here I am delt this card and I need to play the hand I am delt I have 9000 dallors in this motor and I'm stuck I don't want to have to remove lifter out because you have to remove heads
I have read that I need to cut grove between iol hol and the oil Grove in the lifter or is it because the lifter is rising to high and the oil just running out
I'm going to call factory and see if there's a fix as I'm out of money this week I've spent a additional 1500 dollars on new carb oil filters wires plugs distributor point type I like old school high volume oil pump pressure reg later to go from fuel injectors to carb
Please help and thank you please only persons who have first hand knowledge of this problem or good second hand knowledge from a adult respond thank you

You may have to call Howards and ask if those lifters have pushrod oiling capability. I don't see it specified in the listings on their website or others, but on Jegs site this question was asked and the one response say they do not oil through the pushrods. If not, that is the cause.

Editing to add: I just read your entire question again and noticed I overlooked the part about oil gushing from the bottom of the lifter. Interesting. I did not buy a set of these on purpose for this very reason, that I could not find clear answers on them. Hopefully someone knows for sure and chimes in here.

Last edited:
If HS says there is no need to oil the valve stem tip/valve springs, I would find another rocker company that knows what they are talking about....
They need oiling, all engines do.....
Part of the oil supply function to the springs is to cool them so that they do not lose tension.....

If you are using a 360 LA block, and based on your initial description, it sounds like you have standard oiling up through the heads to the shafts. If your lifters do not support pushrod oiling, you may still be ok by oiling the rockers and pushrod cups in reverse by the traditional LA 360 oil flow up through the shafts. The rockers you have were to allow either pushrod oiling on blocks that do not have shaft oiling like on a magnum engine or if the preference is for pushrod oiling and you can block off oil to the shafts. Check with HS if the shaft oiling and no pushrod oiling will work with your HS part number. I suspect they will.

If you are using a magnum block that has not block oiling to the heads and you have oil filing up the shafts and oil at the pushrod tips then your lifters must be feeding oil up the hollow pushrods into the rocker assembly and you should be fine.

As for tip and spring oiling, I can only assume HS says you do not need an oil hole aimed at the roller because there is enough oil leaking out the sides of the rockers that it is being flung around under the valve covers and showering the springs and valve tips. Again you may want to clarify this with HS and specifically ask in relation to how you will operate the car - mainly a race car or driving around town where RPMs are lower.

Last edited:
-
Back