Making an a-body rear......

-

mrnurse

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a housing from.......something, it is 55" flang to flang and the spring pads were removed and spot welded in another location. I want to make it into the correct width and stock spring pad location. what are the measurements from flange to flange and the spring pad to spring pad?

thank you. nope. right now I just have the housing. you have some axles for me?

nope, i didn't want you to make the same mistake as me. i have an e-body housing, 55" wide. i learned through this forum ebody axels can't be shortened.

nope, i didn't want you to make the same mistake as me. i have an e-body housing, 55" wide. i learned through this forum ebody axels can't be shortened.

Well they can be shortened but not to ABody specs. They can go shorter but so will the requirement of the housing to under the ABody stock width. This may be alright if your tubbing and/or using rims with appropriate backspacing.

Shorten the tube you have to ABody specs and buy aftermarket axles.

Ok so I can make my housing look like an abody rear but I can't use a body axles?

You can use A Body axles. You just can't shorten E Body axles to A Body length. Are you wanting big bolt or small bolt pattern axles?

Look at the axles. If they neck down to a smaller diameter than the splines, they can not be splined in that area. Only in the area where the axle diameter is the same or larger than the spline.

If you cut the axle down to the numbers 3forty posted, you can use factory A body 8.75 or have truck or most c body axles cut down. The axles need to be about 27 11/16 if SBP and right at 28" if BBP from flange to spline end.

The small bolt brakes were 10x1.75" and the big bolt pattern cars used 2.5" wide brakes. The offset on the backing plates is slightly different.

Ok so what length to use rms willwood brakes?

Oh and bbp so I can order some rims at some point.

Actually I'm gonna use sbp rallye rims. And stock drums front and rear. Not planning racing the car so no need for big brakes.

-
Back