Making functional dual air scoops

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
I have a 73 Dart with a 318 and the previous owner installed two hood scoops that are bolted on. I was curious if any one has any experience in making hood scoops functional and had any tips. The idea I had right now was using a dual snorkel that would have air ducting pipes that went up to the hood and then foam to create a seal. Also would it be detrimental to the engine in winter or rainy weather? Thanks

I run the dual snorkel hood scoop that is functional, but I have not installed a plate to make it true ram air. I clean bugs out of the back of the scoop and air filter all the time. I don't drive in the rain so I don't worry, but I imagine it would be an issue without foam plugs. To make it functional, attitude of the car is important. Just having a scoop doesn't mean air is automatically going to pour into it while driving. The car may need a higher front end, or lower. Every car is different.

heres a home made one, i can feel a slight difference, the scoops are to low to the air boundary area of the hood so its not a true RAMMING effect but still air 70 degrees + lower down the carb is better.

Attachments

• 71 Demon 340 (18).jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 214
Okay cool! Thanks for the help! I didn't think to consider altitude in correlation with pressure differences.

-
Back