making my own nylon front eye bushings....have questions

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
OK...i have some white, blue, and black nylon round stock. before i put it in the lathe to bore the bolt hole, I wanted to ask about whether or not I need a sleeve. My "mopar guy" boss at work says not, and that the aluminum ones just have it because aluminum galls....
also, if I DO need a sleeve, how should it measure compared to the bushing? (tight or loose, also the same length as the bushing or slightly longer so the bolt clamps it down to hold it still)

I guess what i'm really asking is where the movement needs to be focused.
I'm thinking a 5/8 bore for the bolt (offset hangers) and the 1 1/2 OD will be fine, and the friction can be between the bolt and nylon or between the spring and nylon, and that won't matter...........?????????

oh, and i'm using the white ( i think it's the most durable???)

You need a sleeve. The bolt needs to tighten down on the sleeve and the bushing needs to pivot on the sleeve. The bushing should be press fit to the spring. The bushing will need to be wider than the spring (too keep the spring from rubbing on the mount) and narrower than the bushing (to keep it from binding up when you tighten it).

The old rubber bushing was the same, the center sleeve tightened in, and the outer sleeve pressed into the spring. The difference is the rubber bushing flexed when you hit a bump, your will rotate between the bushing and sleeve.

340duster said:
You need a sleeve. The bolt needs to tighten down on the sleeve and the bushing needs to pivot on the sleeve. The bushing should be press fit to the spring. The bushing will need to be wider than the spring (too keep the spring from rubbing on the mount) and narrower than the bushing (to keep it from binding up when you tighten it).

The old rubber bushing was the same, the center sleeve tightened in, and the outer sleeve pressed into the spring. The difference is the rubber bushing flexed when you hit a bump, your will rotate between the bushing and sleeve.
What he said...

that was my INITIAL line of thinking before i had the stock and before i told anyone about what i was going to do

-
Back