mallory c9000 distributor firewall interfearance

-

68barracuda

Reaction score
I have a mallory c9000 series unilite distributor in my 68 barracuda and found the wiper motor causes the wires to arc out after a short while of driving.
I read in the tech archive that there is a conversion cap part #205 and a rotor #336 that would cure this. Anyone used this set up? I checked out the online catalog and found nothing there in regards to this part.
If anyone has used this how about a pic or a url that shows this set up. that would be greatly appreciated.

Do your wires have straight boots or 90* boots on the dist. end?

Reason I ask is I also have the Mallory dist. and when I bought it I also bought some wires that had the straight boots not thinking about interference with the wiper motor but when I installed it they wouldn't clear the wiper motor good so I had to get different wires that had 90* boots on the dist. end and problem solved.

I have the 90 type boots.
Ive read there is a cap for this issue but cant seem to find it.

I have the 90 type boots.
Ive read there is a cap for this issue but cant seem to find it.

Hum. That's odd since I have the same one and no clearance issue in my 68 Cuda. The cap your referring to is probably what's called a "crab" style cap. (Because they look like crabs in a way). I've seen them made for other things but not a Mallory but I haven't looked for a Mallory either. If I run across one I'll post it here.

I just thought of something. Is your left motor mount good? I have my motor bolted down solid so it doesn't rise up any. If yours is rising up that may be why yours hits and mine don't.

Hum. That's odd since I have the same one and no clearance issue in my 68 Cuda. The cap your referring to is probably what's called a "crab" style cap. (Because they look like crabs in a way). I've seen them made for other things but not a Mallory but I haven't looked for a Mallory either. If I run across one I'll post it here.

I just thought of something. Is your left motor mount good? I have my motor bolted down solid so it doesn't rise up any. If yours is rising up that may be why yours hits and mine don't.

Naw its not the Marine style cap its the standard one. You have no problems with the wiper motor? I had to clearance the base on mine and touch up the paint, the friggin distributor sits right tight against the wiper motor My mounts are new stock replacements from Mancinis. Perhaps I should bolt that end down with a solid mount.
I have not had the car dinoed so I don't know the actual numbers but its hard to keep any kind of traction if your in the gas!
God I love Mopars!!

I'm running the Unilite. I didn't remember what series it was called until I looked it up and see yours is different. I just saw Mallory and thought it was the same as mine.

The solid mounts would probably help so the engine stays planted. How good is your trans. mount? If it's drooping any that'll let the back of the engine down.

i am having the same problem with an msd e-curve distributor. i just went and got a two speed wiper motor but havent put it in yet. i have to figure out if/what the wiring differences are.

i have polly mounts and for my engine and its not helping.

-
Back