Mallory Unilite Distributor

-

Ted Carlson

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have a new Unilite that I got from the senior Tech at Mallory when they were here in Carson City. I never used it because I have so little vaccum with my cam. I've tried to sell it for half of the Summit cost with no takers. Can anyone tell me exactly what it is about Unilite that make it so unpopular? The only issue I have ever heard is that about 20 years ago they blew easily when replacing a point ignition distributor because of too much current going through the points. Today almost nobody uses a points ignition. Most have box of one kind or another( Mopar/MSD/Accel/Crane etc.). I am really confused. Do people really believ that a product will not be improved and issues fixed in 10-20 years. MSD had junk when they first started. My friend who builds high dollar engines has a a pile of bad MSD stuff from way back. He used to tell you that if you didn say Mighty Sorry Device, you either had to spit on the floor or leave his shop. Now MSD is the leader in ignitions. Why do people hang on to an old rep for Mallory Unilite?

they sell an active power filter to use with unilite that greatly improves the reliability,power surges will take out the pickup.....

Used to love my old Mallory dual point distributor. Never had anything but regrets on any Unilite I ever installed. They might be better now, but I ain't risking it. I rank that paticular unit right up there with Ford ignition modules.

I have had a few cars with Unilites in them and never had an issue. My '64 has had one since I did the V8 swap a few years back and not a single problem. I will say that most times I hear of issues it's from a wiring problem caused by people not reading the instructions.

I plan to run points in my slant and my Hemi. Scoff if you want, but why mess with a good thing?

I have ran both Mallory and MSD and they bolt have left me setting. So has a stock type ignition but I know what you mean about people shying away from Mallory. Seen it myself. I saw your add and would sure like to have it for the fuel mileage improvement using vacuum advance. Problem is money. I have some items for sale and if I sell something else I'll contact you.

i have used the unilite in both of my engines one of them from the 70s even went thru a fire and i rebuilt it still runs great have a new billet one in my stroker and it also runs great

I run the Unilite in my stroker and love it. Hooks up just like a stock points distributor and no external box and no extra wires. Works great. Friend of mine has been running a Unilite in his '72 350 chevy for the last 20 years and no problems.

You should post up some pictures in your ad. People like to see what they are buying.

ive had a unilite in my 340 since i brought the car in 1977 never had a issue even after the fire rebuilt it and it still ran when i pulled out the 340 3years ago. my new stroker has a brand new unilite now and have not had a issue with it yet.

Have had mine for a long time also, probably 16 years. Liked it so much I bought the Mallory Digital Ignition.......Working great.

-
Back