Mancini XHD leaf springs...

-

mccula

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently installed mancini's XHD leaves in the rear and now one side sits lower than the other. Funny thing is, it's the passenger side that sits lower and it is about a 2" difference. Mancini said the DRIVER'S side should sit lower by about 1" but that you can adjust the front Left torsion bar to accomodate this.
Well I have a question. They have an 81 and an 82 painted on them, and we put them on in the way that they were listed on the invoice. (I think 82 is on the right but I'm not 100% and I'm not at the car right now.) Anywho, I called them and they said it should appear that one side has more leaves forward of the axle and that that leaf spring should be on the passenger side. Looking at what we did (according to the numbers they painted on the springs) we have that reversed.
So what's the deal here? How do I get it to sit even? Which spring goes on which side???
Also, is there any way to get a little more lift out of them without adding a leaf or anything? I'd just like it to sit a little bit higher. Thanks.
-mccula

Super Stock springs will give it a bit more upward 'boost'.

Spring with more leaves goes on the passenger side. Some people say you can level the car out by cranking up the driver's side torsion bar a bit. Have never run them so I can't say for that it works but I can see why it would. Don't know for sure how to get more lift on the car. Maybe switch the front hangers side to side. I've seen people mention that but I don't remember whether it's supposed to raise or lower the rear.

And yes, as stated above, SS springs will raise the car some but I don't think you want to buy another set.

ok i just went and looked under my wagon that has mancini xhd's. both sets have the same amount of leafs. the passenger side is the one with all the leafs scooted to the front of the axle. drivers side has them more to the back, if that makes sense. mine sits a tad bit higher on the passenger side.

Had the same issue with my SS springs. I swapped the sides and levelled the front end and it sits nice and level.....well it did until I pulled the LCAs out to replace the bushings.

Sounds like you have them on the correct sides:

"both sets have the same amount of leafs. the passenger side is the one with all the leafs scooted to the front of the axle. drivers side has them more to the back"

"it should appear that one side has more leaves forward of the axle and that that leaf spring should be on the passenger side."

Hows the front end? if it is pretty fresh, then you can measure the ride height on both sides and see if there is any difference.

All the advise I got here on FABO said just use the front adjustments to level the back, and it worked, just adjust in really small amounts, bounce on the front bumper and then step back and look.

If you turn the front hanger over, it will lower the car about 1-1 1/2". You could try to flip only the higher side ????

i have XHD's and they sit with in about an inch... i agree they sit to low... but im going from a 26" tall tire to a 29" so that should help to

This is how the Mancini XHD springs sit on my 'Cuda.

IMG_0810.jpg

They were slightly uneven when I installed them but I drove it a bit to seat them in and then adjusted the torsion bars to level the car out.

ok so i swapped them to the opposite sides, and guess what? it was the same. low on the passenger side. SO WEIRD! anyways, i had my old man sit on the high side, then i tightened the shackles and hangers up, and while he sat on that side, i jacked up the low side and tightened it. it's within an inch, the pass. side is lower. weird. measured the front t-bars and they were equal. whatever. i'll drive it a bit after the snow clears, and if it stays within an inch then no worries. if it doesn't, maybe i'll play with the t bars a bit.

-
Back