Manifold stud replacement help

-

Nappa82

Reaction score
Replacing the manifold studs in the head of the 225/6. How far in should I turn them into the head? They go in smooth but dont really seem to tighten up like the old ones seem to have been. Removing the old studs required a bit of muscle. Maybe I havent screwed them in as far as I should....?

Any info on this or past experiances?

Do the threads stop in the middle ?

Do the threads stop in the middle ?

The studs threading stops in the middle of the stud. I hope thats what your asking. I didnt screw them into the head far beyond the thread ending for fear that it wouldmess with the threads inside.

I have my intake on and been driving it for a couple years now, here is what they looked like with the manifolds off, if you need me to I can go out to Victoria's nest and put a tape measurement on one.

Be careful these set at 15 inch lb I believe, but I would have to double check

Attachments

• 910%204%20offy%20777777777%20022.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 240
I do know the front and rear studs are in a water jacket so I would use a good high temp lock tight or high temp sealant of some kind

The studs threading stops in the middle of the stud. I hope thats what your asking. I didnt screw them into the head far beyond the thread ending for fear that it wouldmess with the threads inside.

I have never changed these, Yes were the threads stop in the middle, are the threads the same count on each end fine thread to standard on the other end ? I remember I had to buy brass nuts for mine, just cant remember the thread count :banghead:

Yes I have brass nuts for them and they thread fine for the manifold side and course for the head side. I will throw the torque wrench on them tonight and see how close to 15 inch lb I am at. I matched these exactly to the old ones I pulled out.

Yes I have brass nuts for them and they thread fine for the manifold side and course for the head side. I will throw the torque wrench on them tonight and see how close to 15 inch lb I am at. I matched these exactly to the old ones I pulled out.

Be sure to clean out the threads before you torque them or your readings might be off. It is wise to run a tap in each hole if you have one.

Be sure to clean out the threads before you torque them or your readings might be off. It is wise to run a tap in each hole if you have one.

I do have a tap and did not think of this. Thanks for the info I will run the tap in them before trying to tighten them down.

Seems to be a mix of opinions on the torque of these. Some have said 10 and some have said 22 and many inbetween. Anyone have objections to around 17-18? haha.

Memike if its not too much I would love to know how far your studs stick out. Just for a general measurement. Im guessing about an inch or 1 1/4

Memike if its not too much I would love to know how far your studs stick out. Just for a general measurement. Im guessing about an inch or 1 1/4

Ok Will do, give me a few to get out there :happy1:

BURRRRRR!! 20 mph winds and 30 degrees :toothy9:
You hit it on the money Nappa82
I measured the top row and all of them was 1 1/4''
the middle one on top was sticking out 1 1/2'' :happy1:

Sweet thank you for the measurements and the link. When I get home from work I will check and see how far mine are sticking out and use that for a general guideline.

Sweet thank you for the measurements and the link. When I get home from work I will check and see how far mine are sticking out and use that for a general guideline.
So happy I could help in some way, this kind of thing makes my day :happy10:

All the old studs but 2 came out with very little issues. One just would not budge but is in good shape so i left it and am using it. The other one took me a half hour of wrenching to get off ugh.

All the new studs went in just fine. Thank you Memike for the measurement. Mine were very close to the same measurement. New gasket and all.

I still have an exhaust leak :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I will open a new thread for that issue. I just wanted to give an update and say thank you all for the help.

-
Back