manual brake pushrod stuck

-

Gus Loza

Reaction score
i have a 69 dart with manual brakes and i removed the 4 bolts that holds the m.c. to the car and i cant get the pushrod to come out of it. i tried to unbolt it from underneath the dash but it was hard to get a wrench to hold the other side of the bolt to loosen it. then i pulled back on the brake pedal and it ripped the rear piston out of the m.c.. so the mc is off now (was replacing it anyway) but still have the piston stuck to the pushrod. any advice?

thanks

It should have a little rubber boot inside a ridge inside the piston....the pushrod also has a ridge and it sits inside the rubber that sits inside the ridge of the piston....Confused yet? lol......anyhow....they can get sticky and not want to come out (just went through this same deal)

you can put the piston in a vise and grab on to the pushrod with a pair of vise grips,give it a few twists to free it up....maybe spray some WD40 inside the hole.....then give it a good pull and it should pop out....odds are though that the rubber inside will no longer be any good and I do not believe that new master cylinders come with new rubber (mine didnt anyhow) BUT you may be able to use a fat rubber O-ring as a substitute.......what I used for mine I think was ....I cut about a half of an inch of 3/8" rubber hose and pushed it inside of the piston and then pushed my pushrod inside of that....worked good.

Hope that helps ya out?

Some mc do come with a new rubber peice you need. It just all depends if someone took it out before hand or if it was never put in there.

I replaced my mc last year and even got the correct looking rebuilt one from NAPA. It came with the grommet that goes on the pushrod inside the piston and the little boot (bellows shape) came with it too. I used a crowbar against the firewall, (padded to protect) and the pushrod popped right out of the mc.

-
Back