Manual Disc/Drum Master cylinder and stock manual push rod

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 74 Duster with manual drum brakes all the way around. putting manual disc up front and need to find a master cylinder, heres the ??? All of the disc/drum manual master cylinders I've found have the 1-1/32 bore and I was thinking about using a cast iron master with 15/16 bore but am worried that the stock manual push rod will not work properly. I'm not interested in the conversion from Dr. Diff but was wondering if anyone has successfully utilized one of the cast iron 15/16 masters with the stock manual push rod. If so, which one did you use and what if anything did you have to do to make it work properly?

v/r
Ron

I used a stock manual drum pushrod with a cast iron 7/8 bore MC. Worked fine. Make sure you have some sort of retainer to hold the pushrod in the MC. The typical one is the small rubber sleeve. There is anot her style (older) that is retained with screws.

If if was me, I'd get a MC for a 73-75 power brake A body car but run it manually. BTDT and they're cheap.

I used a stock manual drum pushrod with a cast iron 7/8 bore MC. Worked fine. Make sure you have some sort of retainer to hold the pushrod in the MC. The typical one is the small rubber sleeve. There is anot her style (older) that is retained with screws.

If if was me, I'd get a MC for a 73-75 power brake A body car but run it manually. BTDT and they're cheap.
I guess the big question is will the stock manual push rod work ok in those smaller 15/16 bore with a new rubber retaining ring? Just double checking the real world application out there. You know, check, check again and spend the $$$$ once.

v/r
Ron

Another thing that confuses me is when I look on Rockauto (for example) they call out masters for only disc/disc but they look identical to the disc/drum masters, anything on that?

The piston in the MC MUST have the groove in it for the retaining ring. If not, try another or adapt the older style. But a 73-75 should have it. Chrysler did not make cars with 4 wheel discs in that era.

The piston in the MC MUST have the groove in it for the retaining ring. If not, try another or adapt the older style. But a 73-75 should have it. Chrysler did not make cars with 4 wheel discs in that era.
You are right the A-bodies never had four wheel disc brakes, however they did have four wheel disc brakes on that era Imperials. I believe 1973-1975

See if your local parts store has a MC on the shelf and bring the rod in to test? I have a '74 Dart manual front disc set using my original rod from my '69 drum set.

See if your local parts store has a MC on the shelf and bring the rod in to test? I have a '74 Dart manual front disc set using my original rod from my '69 drum set.
Ok, what is the bore size of the master your using now?

-
Back