Manual shaft in a power column.

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I haven't had time to measure both columns, so Imma just gonna ask.

Can I put a manual steering shaft into a power steering column?? Reason being, my power column is in better shape. 74 Dart Sport.

Anyone done it?

WooHoo, good news. I bought a complete column over at the Red Barn car show a couple of weeks ago for 20 bucks, but the column itself is a little rough.

Can I assume the reverse is true also? Can I put a power shaft in a manual column?

Yes. The columns are basically all the same. Some years and options had different bottom bearing treatments, but the shafts are interchangeable regardless.

Mopwers can you post a step by step on this process? I am interested in putting a power lower shaft in my manual column for a PS conversion.

Mopwers can you post a step by step on this process? I am interested in putting a power lower shaft in my manual column for a PS conversion.

Honestly, I just followed the FSM. It's pretty helpful with good pictures that are very helpful.

Yes. The columns are basically all the same. Some years and options had different bottom bearing treatments, but the shafts are interchangeable regardless.

Thanks for the response. I hoped it was all interchangeable. Bought a doner 73 Dart to put drivetrain in a 69 Barracuda. Was hoping the manual to power steering wouldn't involve a complete column swap..

-
Back