manual steering box ?'s

-

dla4567

Reaction score
I just picked up an old manual steering box. It feels pretty smooth turning by hand but has a slight rough spot. I didn't know what if any maintenance should be done. Also thought I should check and change the fluid in the box but did not know what lube to use or how much.I know very
little about steering boxes and if anybody could educate me I would appriciate it. Thanx Don

I have never had one apart but from what I have seen on here, they are filled with a very heavy grease and it is a real pain in the butt to clean out and re-pack.

its supposed to be little tight in the middle.
it has grease in it.

They are a piece of cake to pull apart and rebuild. Pull it apart, pay attention to how it comes apart, clean it out with carb or brake cleaner. They need to be re-packed with bearing/axle grease. Pack as much as possible, then work the worm gear up and down several times, then cap it all up. pull the little inspection plug on top, and fill it the rest of the way with 80-90 gear oil. Firmfeel has a seal and bearing kit you can buy ,its waaaay over priced for just a couple seals. I'll get the seal part numbers later on today, i'm at work now, this way you can just go to the local parts house and get new seals and call it good.

sorry to hi jack but its on the same topic.. could someone please tell me how to adjust some of the play out of my manual box...its not alot just a little more tahn i care to have at hi speed strip/street car...notice strip is first...but id like to take some out ...i see it has 2 bolts on it and thats where i think you adjust it but not sure which 1 ..thanks sorry for hi jack

Thanks for the quik responses, this is good info to know. Earthmover - your not highjacking at all, I would like to know the answer as well. Any info on steering boxes is welcome. Thanx all.

First, make sure the slop is in the box and not the steering linkage. Next, try to get your hands on a factory service manual. Third, failing to get a manual, sector shaft preload can be adjusted by tightening the setscrew on the top of the box. Go a little at a time, too tight will cause a sticky box and the car will wander.

............First off u have to loosen the sector on top of the box, about 1 turn, then back off the input lock nut[the big nut where the steering shaft goes thru]..hammer and punch works good...turn the end piece in till u feel resistance then back off a hair, tighten lock nut.......adj sector the same way..............kim...........

-
Back