Manual steering box & shaft

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a guy take the manual shaft from his column shift column and put it in a console column that was set up for power steering? 1967/1968 and the reason I ask is I am going to convert my manual box fish with the column shift to a console column that came outta a power steering car. I know about the $125 adapter already.

Not trying to jack your thread and GL with the sale.

I changed the manual shaft, to a power steering shaft, in a floor shift columm. I don't see why you couldn't interchange it with a column shift shaft. As long as the snap ring groove is in the same location, it should work.

I just finished swapping a
'70 225 Dart power steering shaft out.
'74 Duster 318 manual steering shaft in. (I don't think engine size matters)
I kept the complete housings original to the cars, only swapped the shafts and gear boxes. I will note that the '74 steering wheel lock ring drift pin has to be used with the '74 shaft and vise-a-versa. The only issue I had was the '74 has a lower bearing and preload spring w/ring that the '70 column would not accept. It is working fine with no slop in the steering column.
I hope this was helpful. ricky :banghead:

Ernie B, I may need your manual gear box and shaft. Did you keep the clips and steering wheel lock ring pin? Is the gear box still tight?
ricky

The box is tight, All I have is the box with pitman arm, and shaft.
You can use all clips from your p/s column, everything is the same.
Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back