manual steering to power steering conversion

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
ok i have a 71 318 dart. it has manual steering. what do i need part wise to change this to power steering? pump w/ bracket, power steering box, power steering pitman arm. what else? also what years work? 72 back? i do not have a 73 front end (k-frame) stock 71!

the column is a breeze,,,,most guys are going the oppisite direction,,power to manual there are plenty of power columns around,you also can just switch the main shaft of your column to a shorter power column,,a friend of mine has a green power column out of a 73 scamp,,,im sure can be had cheapppppp,,so let me know,,,we are in PA,, out side philadelphia,i believe he may be headed to the va meet in april,,,but a column can be mailed for around 15 bucks shipping cost,,E- mail me,,ill look in to it if your intrested,,

[email protected] don

"you also can just switch the main shaft of your column to a shorter power column"

i wondered if i could just do that. that may be the easiest way to go.this has to be power because it is for the wife!

im sure you can find a A body power column in a yard,,,pull the hole column,,,and keep the spare parts,,around here a tilt column is like 27.00 bucks,,,good luck,,its very easy,,if its a locking column you will need a few key tools,,, that can be bought at a local auto parts store,,cheaper to do it that way,,then wait or looking for a column at a swap meet,,then have to repaint,,just switch the shaft

thanks for the advice. we are going to a yard this weekend. i know i can find the parts ther i need.

Wow, most people are going the other way.

I just pulled off my pump and steering box. If you can't find one let me know. I need to get this thing out of my garage.

Yeah - I just did this too. I removed my old manual 24:1 box for a PS box to get the ratio. I switched the column, shaft, and box and installed a PS pump. Man, that PS box is heavy !

If your PS donor column is not the same 'shift' (ie floor vs column) you can dismantle it to get the actual shaft part out and switch it into your column.

Good luck

Trevor

I picked up a complete power steering column with a nice leather wrapped Grant wheel for $20 at a swap meet last fall. I will be swapping around parts, the column I picked up was a column shift auto and I have a floor shift column in it now.

FWIW, I just started the manual to power swap last weekend. Got the box in, the steering linkage hooked back up, and the header re-installed. The pressure hose I had picked up was the wrong one so I have not installed the pump. Should be done this weekend.

It will certainly be nice to have a quick ratio and not feel like I am maneuvering the Queen Mary.

Mine is manual now. Have lot of paly int he steering.

Will a new box with a lower than 24:1 ratio be even tougher to handle than the stock maual box. This thing is a real bear, but the car is completely restored and I don't want to mess around changing shafts, etc.

I was thinkng of goiung with a 20:1 box from Steer and Gear or Flaming River??

(Sorry to partially hijack here, but I didnt want to start yet another thread on this)

Chas

Going to a 20:1 manual box is just going to make the low speed handling just that much more of a hand full.

Actually, weren't some of the stock boxes 26:1? (or something like that).

In those cases, even a 24:1 would be a marked improvement.......

Man I could use a manual steering column,just took the power out of mine. :toothy7:

why a column rockin? you just need the adapter joint that mp has for $230 bux haha just kidding, you just need an adapter from borgeson to take up for the extra length you need. I did a 67 barracuda from power to manual using a b body column out of a 69 charger, I measured it then cut it to the size I needed for the barracuda, I then bought a borgeson 90 degree joint and welded it upper shaft ,the borgeson ujoint had a set screw that went into the groove on manual box with a hex head,worked like a charm and no big ugly mopar connector. jegs can hook you up with the joint you need for around 60 bux just cut the shaft with a pipe cutter, works like a charm,nice clean cut and dump that ugly mopar adapter. I have also seen larger than normal mopar steering box housings that will work, what there out of I dont know but my 71 dart has this one

for your application there is no cutting just measure 1/2 in from the rear of shaft,then from there measure to within 1/8th of the box ,call jegs and they will help you out as they know and have the proper set screw location for your application, real easy, cheap and very pro looking

-
Back