Manual to Automatic Converstion HELP!!!

-

ADHD426

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster with no engine or tranny. It was originally a three on the tree /6. When I bought the car it came with a 340 and a 904 automatic transmission. I want to get the car ready for for the auto transmission.

Questions:
1. What is the easiest most cost effective way to do the 904 conversion?
2. Can I keep the manual three on the tree steering column or do I need to get an automatic steering column?

Thanks!

I have a 71 Duster with no engine or tranny. It was originally a three on the tree /6. When I bought the car it came with a 340 and a 904 automatic transmission. I want to get the car ready for for the auto transmission.

Questions:
1. What is the easiest most cost effective way to do the 904 conversion?
2. Can I keep the manual three on the tree steering column or do I need to get an automatic steering column?

Thanks!

you could do it 2 ways (there may be even more ways but I'm lazy)

1. remove manual steering column and linkage and replace with automatic one with linkage. just take off the clutch pedal. (I'm not to sure but I think there's an overcenter spring on the clutch pedal,it's stiff) make sure you get the neutral safety switch wire for the automatic hooked up. check with someone more familiar with that year/model.
Done deal then . it'll have a shifter on the column. works awesome with a bench seat, (buckets not so much , it looks funny to me but I've seen a lot of cars that way)

2. remove clutch pedal and spring (if it has it) remove linkage from column and get either an aftermarket shifter or a stock shifter w/ console/neutral safety switch hookups that goes on the hump on the floor.
if you have and are keeping bench seats then an aftermarket with it own little mini mount and cover (some have a neutral switch in it, others ya gotta make up a mount and hook it up to the shifter)would be the way to go on this. again neutral safety switch wired up

I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this but it's one of the ways I would do it

you will need kick down linkage, a torque converter and flexplate, the 2 engine block to transmission supports,, not to mention a shifter, safty neautural/reverse lamp switch harness, and the single brake pedal if you want it to look factory correct.

you will need kick down linkage, a torque converter and flexplate, the 2 engine block to transmission supports,, not to mention a shifter, safty neautural/reverse lamp switch harness, and the single brake pedal if you want it to look factory correct.

I am not as concerned for it to look factory correct. It is just a fun cruiser for me.

-
Back