Manual to power steer question

-
I want to change my 68 dart to p/s. Do i need to change the whole column

I need to point out that the OP asked if he had to "change the whole column to convert to PS?" NOW we're talking about using expensive aftermarket steering boxes, cutting the shaft and welding on u joints, modifying the crush sleeve (an inherent safety feature designed to keep the driver from getting impaled in a front end crash) It's seems that we've veered off the path of logical reasoning.

Let's start from the beginning: 68 Dart. Manual to Power. Yes. you do have to change the whole column.
What you DON'T have to do is cut it, weld it, modify it, rebuild it or spend hundreds of dollars on the swap!

More A bodies came with power than manual steering. Most people do the opposite swap (power to manual)

Take two identical 68 Darts, same engine, same interior/shifter configuration, one with power steering, one manual &
park them side by side. You now have everything you need to do the swap in three to four hours without spending a dime!

The column removal is a 30 minute (or less) job. Three bolts at the firewall, three under the dash, two plugs on the wiring harness, drive out the roll pin on the steering coupler and tap the coupler back off the gear on the steering box. If you have column shift, you need to take off one linkage clip and let it hang at the firewall. The steering box is just as easy. Three bolts hold it to the K frame and one bolt holds the pitman arm to the drag link. You may have to loosen the motor mount and jack up the motor or mess with the exhaust if it's not stock.

There's been a lot of conversation about the difference in the two columns (manual/power steering)
The power column is 3-4 inches shorter than the manual and the geared hole at the bottom of the steering coupler is a different size. Assuming the we are talking identical cars the same year, that's it!

Since you are adding power steering, you will need the pump, lines, brackets and pulleys, all of which can be easily had from a 68 Dart.
Nothing custom or expensive, just stock parts.

The fact that you are in New Zealand is a slight problem but if you were in the states, the cost would be very affordable.

Since you are going manual to power, there are MORE parts available. More guys are going to manual steering. You have the parts that more people want. I've seen many ads here and other places with people offering to trade even up all the parts to convert to power for your parts so they can go to manual!

Let's start with the part you need most. The correct stock steering column. Two factors determine the cost: Column shift or floor shift. Floor shift columns are more desirable and therefore more expensive. A stock dirty pullout floor shift column runs about $150-$200 (I have them). You can get high dollar rebuilt ones up to $450. Not all pullouts have to be rebuilt. It is quite possible to run a pullout as is. Power columns WITH column shift are less sought after and can be had for $75-$125
Why buy an aftermarket adapter for $100?

Stock power steering boxes are so common that people give them away. You can get a good one all day long for $25. I have several here. If you are concerned about used parts, a new stock box is $150 at Autozone! The aftermarket steering setup ranges from $400-$500

The pump and pulleys should be stock used parts. There is absolutely no need for expensive aftermarket pumps.

So the answer to your question is: Unless you use the expensive adapter you DO have to remove your column. But that's the wrong question. What you need to decide is: Do you make the swap with stock easy to get (and change) parts OR spend huge time and money cutting/welding/modifying a column that has considerable resale value?

Good luck!

Yes i would go with the borgenson box. Can you be a bit more specific about cutting the shaft. Would cutting it still still retain the collapsible feature
Yes. You're only cutting the part of the shaft that extends out the forward end of the column. Just follow Borgensen's instructions if you are using their box and their coupler. It's idiot-proof.

-
Back