Manual trans swap - 5 speed

-

Buck76Duster

Reaction score
I'd like to put a 5 spd in my 76 Duster 318 (currently automatic). I know that mid 90's Dakotas had the 5.2L mated to a 5 speed tranny. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this kind of swap? Did the 5.2L block keep the same bolt pattern as my old 318? I assume a hydraulic clutch would be too hard to plumb, though I might have to move or replace my current brake booster. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The 318 dakotas and ram trannys up to '01 I believe will bolt right up. The flywheel is a little expensive if you can't find one used in decent shape. Watch out for the 5.9L magnum motors I think from '91 up because they are externally balanced where an older 318 should be internal. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please. The hydraulic set up is expensive new. For my truck ebay wanted 200 and the dealer over 300. The hard part in going to be getting the pedals with the clutch master that will actually engage the slave cylinder correctly that goes with the trans. That's the problem I'm running into now its almost trial and error. You can do it I'm sure its going to take a little patience and some time and money. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I think the major issue will be clearance. The five speed trans is big compared to the old four speed the darts originally came with. You would have to modify the tunnel quite a bit aswell as the trans mount.

The 5 speed Dakota trans is an Aisin AX5. Gear ratios will be a little steep for car use. This is where the infamous Turbo Toyota Supra transmission comes in. Also an Aisin transmission, (R154), it has a more favourable gear ratio and shares the mounting pattern with the AX5. Therefore, it will bolt to the Dakota bell housing. It's plenty strong, but the purists will turn up their noses at using non Mopar/non American parts in your A body. Of course, as the other posts say, you will encounter clearance problems and the hydraulic clutch is hardly a bolt in.

Thanks. This gives me some more avenues to research before I start tearing into it. Anybody have other thoughts/suggestions on turning my Duster into a gear banger? I'm going to need to preserve the automatic setup and store it in my back yard somewhere. Since I bought a '76, it has to be an automatic once every 2 years in order to pass California smog tests.

um, Smog only tests parts of the emissions system. Your transmission shouldnt be an issue.

Don't use or try to make factory hyd clutch crap work...

You have 2 choices..... you can see wilwood and use there pedal assembly you can bolt in with attached cylinder and or fixed or detached reservoir....or sob i forgot the other company that is similar to that...

That is your simplest least amount of work install...

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check out Wilwood.

As for the smog check, I agree. Unfortunately, I've had several conversations with the CA referee who does not agree. According to the beaurocrats in my great state, the transmission is part of the emissions package, and I'm bound by having to have an engine/transmission combo that was factory available in California. So to be completely legal, my options would be to put in a Mustang drivetrain or a Camaro drivetrain. The referree happens to be a diesel fanatic, and suggested a Mercedes 6 cyl diesel which would then be exempt from smog checks. I'm not exactly a Mopar purist, but none of these options sounds particullarly appealing to me.

Don't use or try to make factory hyd clutch crap work...

You have 2 choices..... you can see wilwood and use there pedal assembly you can bolt in with attached cylinder and or fixed or detached reservoir....or sob i forgot the other company that is similar to that...

That is your simplest least amount of work install...
Perhaps it was http://www.chucksclassiccars.com/index.php ?

As for the smog check, I agree. Unfortunately, I've had several conversations with the CA referee who does not agree. According to the beaurocrats in my great state, the transmission is part of the emissions package, and I'm bound by having to have an engine/transmission combo that was factory available in California. So to be completely legal, my options would be to put in a Mustang drivetrain or a Camaro drivetrain. The referree happens to be a diesel fanatic, and suggested a Mercedes 6 cyl diesel which would then be exempt from smog checks. I'm not exactly a Mopar purist, but none of these options sounds particullarly appealing to me.

Damn, got on google and it looks to be the case. how absurd. but wasnt the a-833od available in 76? I think they make parts to beef up that tranny.

He suggested a what year benz diesel.... some of them are the damned filthiest to hit the street....

Not to mention you'll drive off a cliff

Would they really check and look at the trans, and have any damned idea wth they're looking at

Ever think of moving??? County I live in has no emissions, at all. If you forget to renew your tabs there is not even a penalty.....

-
Back