Manual Valve Body Hard Shifting.

-

Dodgegirlhis2

Reaction score
Just purchased a Dodge Dart Sport with a Hurst Promatic 2 shifter, I understand how to shift as I drive a 4 speed on a regular basis. It runs through the gears good when sitting, but when moving, 1st to 2nd is a real chore. However, 2nd to 3rd slides right in. Is this normal or is there an adjustment that can be done to correct it? The transmission has just been completely rebuilt. I googled the shifter and the information provided was minimal at best. Help...my arm hurts!:prayer:

No, not normal. I assume when you say "it's a real chore" you mean the shifter is hard to move from 1st to 2nd? If so something with the shifter mechanism must be binding is my guess.

You can confirm or exclude the shifter easily. Put it on jack stands in the front and rear. Crawl under it and disconect the shifter from the trans shift lever and shift the lever by hand. If it shifts good through the gears, the problem is in the shifter. If not, it's in the trans.

I had a simular problem once, and it wasn't hard to shift hard all the time. It turned out to be the trans mount. Seems the trans would move just enough during left and right hand turns, that the linkage would rub against the cross member, and bind. Sitting still, the linkage always seemed to shift smoothly. I replaced the trans mount, bolted it down tight, and problem was fixed. Check your motor mounts, too. Even if all mounts are good, check to be sure your shifter bolts are tight, and the linkage has plenty of clearence.

-
Back