Manual valve body installed

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I installed a forward pattern manual valve body in my Polara yesterday and wow! It shifts awesome and hard! I can tell all the things that are loose inside the car. What a difference. I also threw on a deep pan to help keep the trans happy.

Here's the bad part. I broke a valve body bolt when I put it in. I didn't crank on it, it just snapped easy as butter.

-------------0----o----o

----o--o
----o--o

-------------o----o----o

It's the big O in my diagram. According to the FSM it looks like a return passage maybe? I dint know much about the fluid dynamics. I snugged up the other bolts and it seems fine. Should I be overly worried?

Now on to the front end...

it's working now and should be ok but i'd fix it if and when you start having trouble. I know you said it broke but maybe it pulled the treads and just needs a 1/4x20 heli-coil.

It snapped with 1-1 1/2 threads out. Dont have easy out bits. Would have taken it out if I did. Hope its laterrather than sooner.

If you have a thread or 2 of the dolt hanging out you should be able to grab it with a vice grips or walk it out with a punch

Those bolts are usually loose in the threads and probably can be removed with fingernails or needle nose pliers.

If you have to you can cut a slot in the end of it with a mototool and take it out with a small screwdriver.

Try not to grind or drill if you don't have too, the fillings can mess thing up in a hurry.
Like Trailbeast it will likely come your with your fingers

probably not if it snapped off.why did it snap off?it had to be cross threaded.the threads are probably messed up now

probably not if it snapped off.why did it snap off?it had to be cross threaded.the threads are probably messed up now

It went in fine, not criss threaded. It just snapped right as it got to the valve body.

thats odd,but good.should be no problem getting out then.

Those bolts are really soft, and not very thick around where the threads end at the bolt shaft.
I have seen them laying in a pan before because they apparently streched and snapped.

(Oh, and a big glob of grease contains the grindings pretty well.)
Still could hang up a valve sometimes though no matter how carefull one is. :)

Those bolts are usually loose in the threads and probably can be removed with fingernails or needle nose pliers.

If you have to you can cut a slot in the end of it with a mototool and take it out with a small screwdriver.

That is neat trick. An old timer taught me that trick on a 65 Impala that the owner snaped off the air cleaner bolt in a 2 bl Rochester. That was like 43 years ago. Oh hell that makes me the old timer now!

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably be taking the valve body out soon and save it for the Dart. It is a bit racier than stock, no doubt about that. My girlfriend has a fused back and the first time I shifted I heard, "take me home" and a day later and her back is killing her. Guess she won't like riding in the Dart either...

-
Back