manual valve question

-

ddukeboy

Reaction score
I have a stock 904 trans in my '73 Dart. I have had multiple issues with leaks and finally narrowed it down to the shift shaft seal and kick-down seal. To replace these I removed the valve body. When I put everything back together, before putting fluid back in the trans, I ran through the gears to make sure I had everything adjusted correctly. The trans will not go into park. My problem is that the manual valve will not run smoothly through the valve body.

My question is, will this clean up once pressure has been built up in the valve body? I don't want to put it all together, fill it with fluid and still have this problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

It's possible due to the fluid flowing around it. (But I couldn't trust that to be the case)
You must have a badly worn manual valve bore, or a bent manual valve.

Other than that, make sure the tab on the linkage that moves the valve is not binding in the valve slot.

To answer my own question, no. The problem turned out to be the detent was not seated correctly. When I put it back on I did not get it back into the slot on the manual valve. Instead, it was set up so it would only push the valve, not pull. The worst part is that this is not the first time I have done this.

The silver lining is that I found a great message board to search for any problems I might have in the future. With my skills I am sure I'll be by quite a bit.

-
Back