Maple Syrup

-
Back when I was a kid, we used to go up to my uncles farm in New Hampshire and spend a week helping him evaporate the maple sap into syrup. He had a few set ups like this and the kids would tend the evaporators all day.

... it can be as simple or as complicated as you like.Complex reverse osmosis systems
are thousands of dollars.My first time this year...very rewarding.
I sure thought with 30,000m members there would be somebody on the site making syrup this spring!

IMG_3235.JPG

Gentleman where we stored our cars had 100 acres of sugar Bush. Had a drive in shed where he made it. The whole inside of the shed was like taffy lol.
Amazing, nothing like it. Frickin diabetes.....
That's a pretty cool setup you got!
Isnt the ratio something like 50:1?

Gentleman where we stored our cars had 100 acres of sugar Bush. Had a drive in shed where he made it. The whole inside of the shed was like taffy lol.
Amazing, nothing like it. Frickin diabetes.....
That's a pretty cool setup you got!
Isnt the ratio something like 50:1?
I made the evaporator last fall.The sap this year was very high in sugar.I averaged 33:1
lots and lots of work!

My neighbor has a state of the art reverse osmosis in his second year of production , very productive . Has about 12,000 taps with vacuum pumps . It'll take another 2 years to get his investment back . Beautiful operation , great product

We always got syrup from a neighbour but he moved last year so we used store bought syrup ...yuk!
We have about 40 maple trees and i tapped 32 this spring.
It was something i always wanted to try.

Last edited:
We always got syrup from a neighbour but he moved last year so we used store bought syrup ...yuk!
We have about 40 maple tees and i tapped 32 this spring.
It was something i always wanted to try.
Very rewarding.
Store bough maple flavored syrup commonly used on pancakes only contains 10-15% real maple syrup. The rest is just corn syrup with other flavors added.

Nothing like the real stuff.

-
Back