Mask line question

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys . I recently had my 68 cuda painted. Seeing I had the engine bay already painted, I told the painter to not worry about engine bay, all things considered I am happy with the job, one thing I am not happy with is the mask line all around the fenders / cowl perimeter. The correct way would have been open hood and paint complete fender and to cowl lip.
But it is what it is. So now I have a good mask line and also for some reason a primer line . The car is a driver, so looking for any ideas ?
Thanks

20180909_153435.jpg

20180909_160017.jpg

The primer line is probably sealer. The sealer blows in farther than the paint and doesn't get covered by the paint. I always tape the sealer coat tight and pull that tape to let the paint bury the sealer. Its hard to not have some kind of line when doing a closed shoot. A close-up of the line would help us suggest a solution. You might be able to soften it a little or lessen the sealer line with some rubbing compound.

Another pic.. I was thinking even a good paint marker with single stage paint..when the hood is closed it's hard to see any flaws.

20180909_173745.jpg

20180909_172408.jpg

if you have paint under the sealer, a light wet sand with 2000 may resolve..

Bruce

Another pic.. I was thinking even a good paint marker with single stage paint..when the hood is closed it's hard to see any flaws.

View attachment 1715221851

View attachment 1715221852
I think that is your best bet. It sure is close to the edge. You could also spray it. Let the masking tape overlap the edge and fold it back to leave a soft edge right on the edge of the fender. And hope the paint doesn't come off when you remove the tape.
I always rub the tape across my pants or shirt to reduce the tackiness of the tape.

I think that is your best bet. It sure is close to the edge. You could also spray it. Let the masking tape overlap the edge and fold it back to leave a soft edge right on the edge of the fender. And hope the paint doesn't come off when you remove the tape.
I always rub the tape across my pants or shirt to reduce the tackiness of the tape.
Yes that was my first thought.. but was worried about tape peeling lol.. if I did that method, would it be better to use single stage? Thanks for the advice

if you have paint under the sealer, a light wet sand with 2000 may resolve..

Bruce
Yes.. I tried that with 1500 and it seamed to help a bit but didn't remove completely..
Thanks

Yes that was my first thought.. but was worried about tape peeling lol.. if I did that method, would it be better to use single stage? Thanks for the advice
That's a tough one. How fresh is the paint? What did the painter use. If its base clear coat did he put harder in the base coat? I'd scuff it and lightly blow base coat on it then use a clear base coat over that. PPG calls theirs dbc 500. Its for under hood places that don't see the sun. Not near as tough as catalyzed clear but wont give you a lot of build up. I'm worried of it lifting or wrinkling on that edge.
I'd be talking to my painter. That's not acceptable in my book but I don' know the specifics of the job either.

Another method would be to use a tape called Fine Line and carefully lay it right on the crown of the edge then come back and buff that edge after painting.

That's a tough one. How fresh is the paint? What did the painter use. If its base clear coat did he put harder in the base coat? I'd scuff it and lightly blow base coat on it then use a clear base coat over that. PPG calls theirs dbc 500. Its for under hood places that don't see the sun. Not near as tough as catalyzed clear but wont give you a lot of build up. I'm worried of it lifting or wrinkling on that edge.
I'd be talking to my painter. That's not acceptable in my book but I don' know the specifics of the job either.
He used base clear (GG1).. and I painted the engine bay with single stage (GG1) they match pretty much bang on. Not acceptable in my book either but for the price I paid and job I got I'm happy.. also.. this isn't the first problem I'll be fixing from the painters work..the paint is 6-7 months fresh.. thanks again..

-
Back