Master Cyl Fluid Side??

-

zcook13

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I hope this isn't a dumb question but Im going to replace all the brake lines and front shoes on my 70 dodge dart. I took the lid off the master cyl and on one side it said "Fluid Side" and the other side was blank on the bottom of the lid. The front section was full of liquid and the back half was bone dry??? It should have fluid in both sections right? Also what is the torque for the spindle nut? Was hand tight when I took it off today.

Hey everyone. I hope this isn't a dumb question but Im going to replace all the brake lines and front shoes on my 70 dodge dart. I took the lid off the master cyl and on one side it said "Fluid Side" and the other side was blank on the bottom of the lid.

I believe the rubber said "fluid side"? That is the side that faces down toward the bowls.

The front section was full of liquid and the back half was bone dry??? It should have fluid in both sections right?

Yes.

Also what is the torque for the spindle nut? Was hand tight when I took it off today.

It doesn't get "torqued", you have to set bearing preload by rotating the drum and tightening the nut until you feel a slight resistance, move it a tad more if need be to get the castle nut lined up so you can get the cotter key in.

If you are going that far, be sure and check and re-pack the bearings too, if they are bad replace them.

Yes, it should have had fluid in both sections. You will need to add fluid and bleed the side of the master cylinder (MC) that was dry before attempting to bleed the brakes. The front side of the master is for the rear brakes and the rear side of the master is for the front brakes. With that being said, after you bleed the back reservoir of the MC, bleed the front brakes starting with the passenger side first. However, prior to doing this, I'd investigate why the MC was dry. Is there a leaky front wheel cylinder, bad hose, or possibly a loose connection on the front end? Look for any sign of a leak in the front system.

Yes the passenger side wheel cylinder is leaking. When I bought the car the previous owner also had the front break lines off too.

Yes the passenger side wheel cylinder is leaking. When I bought the car the previous owner also had the front break lines off too.

That will need to be fixed before you attempt to bleed the system.

You have a hydraulic leak on whichever side that part of the reservoir controls. Leaking wheel cylinders is a high probability.

Is that the same for my 71 dyuster, it has disc brakes on front and the rear compatment of the master is bone dry. is the rear section of MC fior the front brakes on a disc brake car? also it is non power brakes (manual) thanks

Is that the same for my 71 dyuster, it has disc brakes on front and the rear compatment of the master is bone dry. is the rear section of MC fior the front brakes on a disc brake car? also it is non power brakes (manual) thanks

Yes; it is the same for your car.

-
Back