Master cylinder - brake pushrod

-
Reaction score
Folks, I have a kit for front disc conversion picked up through Mancini.. car is a 67 dart. Keeping drum rear / installing disc front (or getting a shop to do it rather) but, my master was leeking and pealing the paint off the firewall so I went ahead and pulled it to at least get that taken care of then the new mancini part MRE 3360.
Mancini racing Dual Inline Master Cylinder

Pulled the original master and had to remove the brake push rod from the pedal to pull out in one unit. I then pulled the brake pushrod connected to the rubber seal internals out of the MC.. Ok now I am stuck.. the brake push rod is connected somehow inside the seals & spring mechanism. There is a phillips on the end of the spring cap.. anyway, I need to replace the master so..
1) The Mancini part is a 3 hole MC, mine is 4 and no adapter.. most likely returning as I don't want to deal with drilling / conversion.
2) is this even the right MC MRE 3360 part to use for my Dart conversion.. maybe a mute points per above point #1.
3) I am at a loss with separating the brake pushrod from the other piece (name??)
4) if I do separate the brake rod from the spring by removing that Philips screw (which is stuck) Then, will the break rod work with an aftermarket MC?
5) There are plenty of threads to source the right either Chrysler or Dorman part so I am good there.. unless you would like to throw in your advise on the best MC for the job.

photos of the rod and orig. mc attached

so obviously new, learning, but at a loss.

MC brake rod.jpg

MC.jpg

Pushrod is attached to the piston by a square "O" ring inside. Put the rod in a vise with the piston sticking out and I use two screwdrivers to pry the piston off the rod. It is held in place very tightly so so will need some force. You will need another "O" ring to re-install. See if your new M/C is the same set-up.

As Murray said, you pulled the piston out of the m/c. The pushrod will come out of the piston if you pull it hard enough. There is a small o-ring on the pushrod that just pops into a recess iside the piston, The o-rings get hard and sometimes hold the pushrod in tight. Maybe don't bother with the old stuff... I'd buy a 4-hole to 2-hole m/c adapter, an adjustable pushrod, and a modern aluminum m/c from someone like Dr. Diff. DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components

As Murray said, you pulled the piston out of the m/c. The pushrod will come out of the piston if you pull it hard enough. There is a small o-ring on the pushrod that just pops into a recess iside the piston, The o-rings get hard and sometimes hold the pushrod in tight. Maybe don't bother with the old stuff... I'd buy a 4-hole to 2-hole m/c adapter, an adjustable pushrod, and a modern aluminum m/c from someone like Dr. Diff. DoctorDiff Drivetrain Components
Pushrod is attached to the piston by a square "O" ring inside. Put the rod in a vise with the piston sticking out and I use two screwdrivers to pry the piston off the rod. It is held in place very tightly so so will need some force. You will need another "O" ring to re-install. See if your new M/C is the same set-up.

Thanks, and will give that the old pull!

Yes I am looking at the adjustable rods in my ClassicInd catalog,, thinking that may be the way to go.. but will for sure check out DDDC.. was a bit fearful to pull as that's how I usualy break sh.. and have to pay someone more to fix it.. but thanks again!

Usually you will need an adjustable pushrod with anything but an OEM-replacement M/C. Especially with the 2-hole to 4-hole mounting adapter, the pushrod needs to be a bit longer.

I sell a lot of those pushrods. I just heat the aluminum piston from the master cylinder until it melts or pops out.
brakepushrod.jpg

-
Back