Master cylinder question

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Turns out my booster is fine. A friend of mine said I should get a new master cylinder. Who ever put this one in before didn't really do it right. The rubber boot part was missing when we took the master cylinder off the booster. And the rod wasn't in right. Since they are so cheap I might as well get a new one. Does anyone reccomend a good brand? Seems like A-1 cardone is most common but have heard their repo master cylinders are basically junk. Should I spend the extra money for a brand new unit?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Always buy new not re-man on master cylinders. Remeber it only takes loosing the brakes once to be in the wall.Cardone re-man is junk. Go for new Raybestos or Fenco

Probably the most important part on your car to buy new.

Make sure it comes with the rubberr grommet for the push rod.

I found this one on rock-auto. Its a Raybestos. Part # MC36406. Is this a new part or reman? Dosn't say in the description. Seems like the best deal anywhere. Also dosn't say wheather the push rod or rubber boot is included. If it is new then I would assume those parts are included. Im sure someone here has used one of these before.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=309117

Thanks for the information. Always appreciated.

I found out that the raybestos part does not include the push rod. Not sure why that wouldn't be included. Then I realized that all of the new or reman master cylinders do not state as the pushrod being included. Is it okay to use the used one on the car now? Or do I need to buy one of those as well? Never thought buying a master cylinder would be such a hassel lol

You do not need a new push rod. You use the original one.

There is a small rubber grommet that pushes into the end of the master cylinder.
Then the push rod pushes into this grommet. It is what holds the push rod into the MC.

The rubber grommet is almost always included. You must have/use it.

You do not need a new push rod. You use the original one.

There is a small rubber grommet that pushes into the end of the master cylinder.
Then the push rod pushes into this grommet. It is what holds the push rod into the MC.

The rubber grommet is almost always included. You must have/use it.

Thanks "Johnny Dart" i'll go ahead and order the raybestos master cylinder from rock auto. The rubber grommet currently is not in my master cylinder. Either the past owner didn't have one or didn't think it was needed. A friend of mine gave me a spare just in case the new one I order is without one. Hopefully its a successful installation.

Thanks again

-
Back