Master cylinder reinforcing plate

-

scamper340

Reaction score
When I was at Carlisle this year, I took a bunch of under hood shots, and noticed that some cars had reinforcing plates for the master cylinder and some did not. Is there any particular reason for this? Some were manual brakes, some power. The reason I'm asking is that there is some pitting on the firewall around the master cylinder, and I was thinking of getting a reinforcing plate to hide it. My car didn't have one on it. The guy that painted my car didn't spend the time to fill in the pits before he shot it, and I'm a bit anal. Anyway, does anyone see a reason why I can't add a plate? I'll be using an aluminum master cylinder, manual brakes. Thanks guys!

b and e bodies use a reinforcing plate. a bodies don't. the plates are even specific to power and non power.

Thanks redfastback, I went back and looked through my photos after you posted and what do you know, not a single a-body with a reinforcing plate, lol. Any idea why only only B and E-bodies got the reinforcing plates, and why some have them and some don't? Thanks for the info BrianT, already have one and am waiting patiently to install it. I was hoping there was a way to cover up those ugly pockmarks on my firewall. Maybe I can fab something.

Thanks redfastback, I went back and looked through my photos after you posted and what do you know, not a single a-body with a reinforcing plate, lol. Any idea why only only B and E-bodies got the reinforcing plates, and why some have them and some don't? Thanks for the info BrianT, already have one and am waiting patiently to install it. I was hoping there was a way to cover up those ugly pockmarks on my firewall. Maybe I can fab something.

How about a V shaped master cylinder heat shield that sandwiches between the firewall and the adapter? You can hide the pockmarks and keep header heat from boiling your brake fluid. Shouldn't cause any brake push rod length issues if it's thin enough, i.e. aluminum sheet. If you really want to get fancy, you could have it anodized.

Hi grumpus, thanks for the idea, but i'd need something a little bigger than that. The pitting is out to where the raised area is around the master cyl. I'll try and post a pic in a bit. I may still use a heat shield for the master cylinder though.

-
Back