Matching Numbers Means?

-

6d8gtjag

Reaction score
My VIN# is LP23F8B320328 I have a 318 engine with numbers 2536030-318-7 and the transmission numbers are PK2892072Y2359 6506. Is there something that I'm missing here as far as matching numbers. Do I or don't I have them? I have no clue. Your help is very much appreciated.:read2:

Matching numbers has more to do with whether your drivetrain is original to your car then anything else. If you look at your build sheet you should find your VIN number as well as a sequence number that will appear on your cars core support, fender tag, and engine block just below the left head. Build sheets are usually located under the rear seat ,behind a seat back, or on the top/rear of the glove box. The VIN number on your build sheet should match your cars VIN and the build sheets sequence number should match the core support and engine number. My 68 Dart is an early one but has the 2nd half of the VIN stamped on the top rear edge left side of the engine block with a corresponding one adjacent to it on the bellhousing. If all of these numbers agree with the numbers on the build sheet then you have a "matching numbers" car. Matching numbers cars are generally viewed as being more valuable because they have not been altered in their history. The rarity of the car plays a big part in whether "matching numbers" will dramatically increase the value of the car.

You`re welcome. I hope it helped explain things some. `68 was the first year Chrysler started marking the engine and trans with the VIN suffix.

So If A Duster Has Its Orginal 318 And 904 Tranny, But The Car Has Been Modifyed Lets Say Changed To Bucket Seats And Auto Console And The Eng Is Now Stroked, Is It Stll A Matching Numbers Car?
Thanks Larry

So If A Duster Has Its Orginal 318 And 904 Tranny, But The Car Has Been Modifyed Lets Say Changed To Bucket Seats And Auto Console And The Eng Is Now Stroked, Is It Stll A Matching Numbers Car?
Thanks Larry

Yes. The serial # on your engine and transmission must match 320328, which are the last 6 digits on you vin...commonly referred to # matching.

Now if you change to bucket seats, you likely won't match your fender tag or broadcast sheet. But since bucket or bench seats aren't numbered like engines and transmissions, it is not as important to most people.

-
Back