Matching numbers?

-

bobruthkry

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this has been puzzling me for awile now. Years ago I worked for GoodYear and was closely involved with all of the work done on the Mopars there. I was told a few different times by reliable people that the numbers matching engines and trannys didn't start until 1969 on Mopars. Is this correct ? Does anyone know if this is true? This is what I believed for almost half of my life now and I guess I never really thought about it until I started seeing early 60's cars for sale with matching numbers engines and tranny's.Anyway thanks for any help you guys can give me on this and I really love this site. I just have to stop going to the jokes and funny stuff before I go into work.Take care , Bob

I have a 68 that has matching vin. numbers I think it may have been 1967 when they started putting vin. numbers on the engine and transmissions.

The only thing you can say about 66 and older is they are date number matching.

VIN stamping started during the 1968 model year on the engine and transmission bells. Some 1968 cars got stamped, and some did not.

Barry

Yes I have a 68 gtx and it is stamped on the top of the bell housing and the motor right next to each other

Hello, I'm new on this site.

I have a plymouth duster 1973 with 340 and a 4 speeds transmission.

Do be a real matching number car does my serial on my transmission need to be the same as the engine and car ?

And where I can find information to restore my car as the original (tire size, pictures of the motor, where I can order new strip and interior etc...) ?

Thanks

alaskan ta is right. it started around 68', but consistency was not highly enforced. 69 fender tags are different to decode than 68's as well.

cboutinduster73- welcome! yes, the engine and trans should be stamped with the last 6 digits of your vin, as well as other #'s. other stuff you need, well, there are lots of places to check into. here are some to start.

www.legendaryautointeriors.com
www.dantesparts.com
www.jacksautoparts.com

The guys are right not until the late 60's did they start stamping VINs on engine & trannys. Because of this my favorite line when someone is selling a pre '68 Mopar is when they say it is numbers matching. When they should say date code matching.

Chuck

Thanks redfastback for the info !

The engine is match number with the VIN of my car but not with the transmission. sniff sniff, less value for my car

-
Back