Math Lesson

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Fifty Years of Math
1957 - 2007

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950's:

1. Teaching Math In 1950's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100 His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980's

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990's

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

LOL, Thats funny ****. In High School I had to have a calculator in math. It was required. Do you believe that ****.

Ps, was in high school in the 90s, Im now a logger.

PPS, My son is the only child in his pre school class that doesnt speak spanish as a first language, He can count to 10 in spanish and knows some of the alphabet though because they are required by the state to teach it to him.

Michelle ( My babies Mom, LOL) is half spanish and doesnt speak a word

Amen, brother!

I'm a 70's high schooler.

When I was in JR High my counsler kept telling me that I needed to take Spanish as a foreign language credit and I said why I will never need to know Spanish, can I take wood shop instead to fulfill the credit? They let do that, now I wish I had taken the Spanish. Who would have thought that the counsler knew what they were talking about.

Chuck

john, you hit the nail on the head!!!!!! thats funny man.

i took 3 years of spanish and couldn't remember ****!! i worked in a pizza place with a bunch of mexicans and was fluent in 1 year! its much easier to do it hands on than from a book.

Just for the record, our God-Daughter is Dominican & Puerto Rican on her Mothers side, and Ecuadorian on the Father's side.

Barracuda058-vi.jpg

I took two years of Latin for my foreign language credits in the 70s. I still refuse to be forced to learn Spanish. If they want something from me, they can speak English, this country's official language (for now.)

Jerry

I went to high school in the 60s. I took spanish, didn't know what a calculator was, used a slide rule and learned to think for myself. Oh! I almost forgot, had to walk to school. (5 miles, no shoes, in the snow) Just kidding.

Todos sabemos que aqui no hay arboles!:snakeman: Besides whats up with fool using latin then complaining about a latin language?! LOL
Also the answer is veinte dolares or about 215 pesos!
Alta California! Mi tierra, Mi Lengua! Don't forget Mopars dominan(RULE!)!
Live, Love, Laugh! Road Rage Raul.:cheers:

Raul, I'm not sure if you mean my "Latin", because I took the original Latin - the dead language used by the Romans - not Latin American "Latin" used by our neighbors south of the border.

Jerry

Jerry is right, Latin was also taught in Catholic schools. My mom had to learn it when she was in school. Then there's Pig Latin also which to me is like jive for lack of a better example of it.

Chuck

I live in Tx and all i can say is you are so right. Good thing I put a foot in my kids butts so they learn something.

That's the stuff.

Translated: Thank you Chuck for reminding me of Pig Latin. I had forgotten about it.

I think I got it right

Chuck

Yep, that's it - with a few broken rules on my part, I'm sure. Of course, I do that with English, too.
icon12.gif

Erryjay

What schooling I had was not much.
That is wy I have yet to look at this thread.
But know I have took the time to read it.
But I like pictures and your God-Daughter
sure is a bright eyed cutie FASTBACK340.
congratulations!! You have made me think again
about getting my G.E.D.
I lived and worked next to some hard working
and great Putreo Rican families and they are some fun loving people.

I was reminded by this thread why I had to take algebra in high school. I had to know why X + 3 = b in the late 70's :read2: :homework:

So I could help my SECOND GRADER with his home work. ( Oh yeah, I had to walk to school three miles. It was up hill both ways in West Virginia)

-
Back