Mating A904 and /6 225 (1964)?

-

JamesM007

1964 Signet 200 Vert
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some tips and advice on reassembling my trans to my engine. I purchased a 1964 specific seal kit from Pat Blais and did that work. I didn't take the engine and trans apart (someone else did) and I am not sure of the best way to approach this. I have the 64 service manual as a guide but not all procedures are clear cut from a tricks of the trade perspective and I only want to do this once so I turn to FABO for advice!

A couple more questions:

Currently the convertor is still attached to the engine flywheel. reviewing the service manual it looks like I should remove the convertor and install it to the impeller shaft, then mate it to the engine. Looks like a tight fit for a regular wrench, any tricks to getting these separated and then put back together?

I don't have an alignment tool, is there a substitute? or, what else should I do?

I did not replace the front pump oil seal as it did not come with the kit. It seems to me, that it would be a good idea to do this now, prior to mating. Would you agree?

Should I be doing the same thing for the output shaft oil seal?

If yes to the above oil seal questions, would parts from Rock auto suffice or should go elsewhere? again, I only want to do this once.

Any tricks to removing and reinstalling these 2 seals?

In regards to the parking cable and the spring that holds the cable in, do I put that together and then simply push that cable in till it snaps into place?

I have attached pics of my project. The engine and trans (a few leaks) were working very good when removed for the car to go to paint. next step is to get engine and trans back in car and fired up.

I found this site for a 727 that seems helpful:

http://www.yetanotherdomain.org/64dodge/transmission/rebuildsteps.html

Thanks everyone. I am so looking forward to hearing this thing run after many years in hiatus.

Attachments

• IMG-20131007-00076.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-20131007-00077.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_7866.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7988.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-20130624-00310.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8006.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 120
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some tips and advice on reassembling my trans to my engine. I purchased a 1964 specific seal kit from Pat Blais and did that work. I didn't take the engine and trans apart (someone else did) and I am not sure of the best way to approach this. I have the 64 service manual as a guide but not all procedures are clear cut from a tricks of the trade perspective and I only want to do this once so I turn to FABO for advice!

A couple more questions:

Currently the convertor is still attached to the engine flywheel. reviewing the service manual it looks like I should remove the convertor and install it to the impeller shaft, then mate it to the engine. Looks like a tight fit for a regular wrench, any tricks to getting these separated and then put back together?

Yes you want to unbolt the converter and install it in the trans. If
you rotate the engine to where the converter to flex plate bolts are at the
bottom their easy to get at. When you get the converter off the engine it slides
right in the trans. then you rotate it until it drops in all 3 cogs. At that
point the bolt pads on the converter where it was bolted to the flex plate will be approx. 1/2" below the surface of
the trans bellhousing.

I don't have an alignment tool, is there a substitute? or, what else should I do?

No alignment tool is needed

I did not replace the front pump oil seal as it did not come with the kit. It seems to me, that it would be a good idea to do this now, prior to mating. Would you agree?

Yes it's a very good idea to replace it. When you do apply some
grease or heavy oil to the rubber lip of the seal so when you install the
converter it doesn't damage it

Should I be doing the same thing for the output shaft oil seal?

If yes to the above oil seal questions, would parts from Rock auto suffice or should go elsewhere? again, I only want to do this once.

Yeah but buy a name brand part such as TRW, National,
etc...

Any tricks to removing and reinstalling these 2 seals?

They make seal pullers but I usually stick a big flat blade
screwdriver in at an angle and they pop right out. Sometimes their stuck and
require a little force. What ever you do don't stick anything very far in cause
there's delicate bushings just inside you can damage. To install them use a
plastic face hammer and gently tap them in till their seated.

In regards to the parking cable and the spring that holds the cable in, do I put that together and then simply push that cable in till it snaps into place?

I'm sorry but I've never worked on the older ones with a parking cable. Hopefully someone else will answer that.

I have attached pics of my project. The engine and trans (a few leaks) were working very good when removed for the car to go to paint. next step is to get engine and trans back in car and fired up.

I found this site for a 727 that seems helpful:

http://www.yetanotherdomain.org/64dodge/transmission/rebuildsteps.html

Thanks everyone. I am so looking forward to hearing this thing run after many years in hiatus.

Looking good. Good luck

Thanks for the advice, gave me the confidence to put it back together. Wasn't as hard as I made it out to be. Thanks again.

Any time Fishy68 chimes in on a trans thread(or any other thread) you can follow his instructions with confidence!! I really appreciate all of his advise here too!!!

-
Back