Matte black caliper paint as hood paint?

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
I searched the forum first, can not find an opinion on this. Under the hood I have been using Duplicolor Matte Black caliper paint left over from calipers and $15 can so thought sure, engine accessory brackets this will work. It lays down nice and even and has a nice flat to satin look, then I thought about my hood and bumpers… this is durable paint that will stand up to heat and cures nicely, any reason I would be sorry repainting my hood and bumpers with it? Currently hood and bumpers are flat black and look like crap. Grill is semi gloss black for reference.

I am aware of JD Blitz Black, not a fan.
Organisol or whatever, don’t care, not paying that.
Satin black was my original thought but afraid will be too black and make the car stand out as looking worse lol.

Paint and body on my car looks good at 20 feet, great at 50 feet, and perfect at 100 feet, so not fooling anyone, just trying to make a vast improvement over what I have without going crazy and repainting the whole car lol.

IMG_4522.jpeg

i've used it to paint some bodywork, the result was satisfactory. excellent UV and abrasion and stands up to the elements for sure. the problem is that if you have a blem, it's damn near impossible to correct and touch ups look like ***.

it wears well, but that wouldn't be my first choice for something that large. fwiw, i used VHT brand.

Seems like to get enough paint for good coverage on a hood would be counter intuitive as far as price. I think you'll be surprised at how many cans it will take to make it even look "good".

I used 4 cans of OER Organisol on my gts. It laid down quite well at 3.5 cans. I used the last 1/2 can to get some sag/runs/etc to match the rest of the car. The hood started in gel coat (and jb weld) when I started.
I would do the bumper black and hood in Organisol. It's looks pretty cool in the sun.

ive heard of guys useing SEM hot rod black....i have not tried it

-
Back