Max Motor RPM

-

BigWhip

New to Mopar land
Reaction score
To me it seems that the Maxium RPM of a motor can turn and survive has grown the last 35 + years. Can anyone fill out this chart for me.

Motor: year, stock max rpm, race max rpm

340 1970
340 2009
360 1974
360 2009
440 1970
440 2009

My son asked me this and I have no ideal of the amount of changes, I do know it changed.

He belives most of the RPM increase has came about do to the new oils we now have to put in the motors. Synthetic oils, light weight oils, additives, etc, etc. Any comments?

Thanks

Whip

I'm sure better oils are part of it, but I think even more important is lighter weight engine internals and tighter build tolerances.

I'm sure better oils are part of it, but I think even more important is lighter weight engine internals and tighter build tolerances.

Yes, plus better intake manifolds, headers, and cam grinds more specific to MoPar engines.

camshaft and valvesprings have alot to do with Max Rpm.

I have a few friends who turn 2.0L 4cyl.'s over 10,000

It is difficult to put hard numbers together on a group of engines.
The basic theory is rev it till it blows and then back off a couple hundred rpm!
I have seen a 250 cc 6 cyl. Honda race bike turn over 20,000 rpm. Of course it is titanium and magnesieum everywhere running on needle, roller or ball bearings thru out the engine and tranny. Mid 1960s bike.

It is difficult to put hard numbers together on a group of engines.
The basic theory is rev it till it blows and then back off a couple hundred rpm!
I have seen a 250 cc 6 cyl. Honda race bike turn over 20,000 rpm. Of course it is titanium and magnesieum everywhere running on needle, roller or ball bearings thru out the engine and tranny. Mid 1960s bike.

They knew what they were doing back in the day. We still have my grandpas old buggy in the barn. It was built in the late 60's early 70's time frame. It has a 2180cc VW motor with a roller crank in it. It does not have a tack but that thing will rev hard. You hold your foot to the floor till it sounds like it is going to blow up, wait a few more secondes then shift. That little 2180 puts out over 200 HP all motor. It takes turbos and exotic fule for motor builders to get that kind of HP out of a VW now a days and they don't stay together half as well as G-pas does.

-
Back