Maximum tire width with mini-tub

-

MoparPowa

Reaction score
I saw that a guy recently fit some 265/40/R17 in his 1965 barracuda with the springs moved inboard and the rear moved back 3/4" in a totally stock wheel well. This is pretty impressive for an early A. I however am curious about the maximum wheel/tire width combo that would fit in a mini tubbed 65 dodge dart. If anyone has ANY experience with mini tubbing and early a's I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks!

I saw that a guy recently fit some 265/40/R17 in his 1965 barracuda with the springs moved inboard and the rear moved back 3/4" in a totally stock wheel well. This is pretty impressive for an early A. I however am curious about the maximum wheel/tire width combo that would fit in a mini tubbed 65 dodge dart. If anyone has ANY experience with mini tubbing and early a's I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks!
I have Mickey Thompson N-50X15's on my '65 Dart. 14" section width. Springs are set into the longitudinals and the inner fenders were actually made from Chevy pickup inners as the originals were so rotted out.

A 275/60/15 will fit with ease in a minitubbed car.. here is a 275 under the stock wheel well and stock tub/spring location...

I think it looks pretty wicked under there..

102508002Large.jpg

10" wide wheels. Housing and axles by Moser. I believe that the wheel backspace is 3".

Hey Boosted,

What are the spec's on those rims???? You said no tub or spring relo right???

Bob

021-vi.jpg

120-vi.jpg

Mickeys pie crust's. These are the 10.00-15' Radir Dragsters. Had room to go two inches wider. You CAN fit alot o' rubber in these mini-tubbed wonders...

I think the widest you can go with a mini-tub depends on the height of the car in the back. I put the spring boxes in the center of the frame rails. We cut the original tub right down the center and made new inboards only keeping the outboard tub to look factory stock. I have some drag radials that are 13" wide section width and they only work with a rear sway bar. With my car ride height this is the max you can go. Jayson

DSCN4379.jpg

DSCN4390.jpg

I think the widest you can go with a mini-tub depends on the height of the car in the back. I put the spring boxes in the center of the frame rails. We cut the original tub right down the center and made new inboards only keeping the outboard tub to look factory stock. I have some drag radials that are 13" wide section width and they only work with a rear sway bar. With my car ride height this is the max you can go. Jayson

This is why I will be adding 2" to the base of the wheel tun to make it have more room.. The 275's on my car are MT Drag Radials... I like a low stance with a decent size tire.. I think I may just ladder bar it...

This is why I will be adding 2" to the base of the wheel tun to make it have more room.. The 275's on my car are MT Drag Radials... I like a low stance with a decent size tire.. I think I may just ladder bar it...
After you mini tub, the limiting factors will be the frame rails and the inside of the sheetmetal for the quarters. My Mickeys are just over 14" wide and 28" tall. If I would have lengthened the wheelbase by an inch by moving the spring mount rearward, I could have gotten a 30" tire in, but still limited to 14 inch width.

-
Back