mcleod clutch

-

lightweight

Reaction score
My first 4 speed install, have it all in but when I push in the clutch pedal the diaphram on the pressure plate does'nt come back out? I installed the clutch with the tag that says flywheel side towards the flywheel. When the bolts are loose on the pressure plate the diaphram releases and returns as I think it should. But when bolts are torqued down to flywheel the diaphram on the pressure plate does'nt return. It's a pro street pro clutch and pressure by mcleod I ordered it from summit racing. Does the pressure plate release when the flywheel is spinning, and this is why it does'nt release when I am just pushing in the peddle in my garage? I don't know. I called mcleod the ask if it needs shims under the pressure plate, the guy I talked to said no,but was a real jerk to deal with, and did'nt want to answer questions from a newbee like myself. I called summit racing to talk to one of there techs, alot of help, took a little while but real nice guys. The fella I talked to had'nt heard of this problem and forwarded me to another tech which told me I should put a thin shim under the pressure plate, drive it for about 20 miles and remove them and see if this helps. He said it might just be to thick for the pressure plate to release and return back to the right position. I asked him if this would make it slip, he said not to rod it just drive it for a little while and pull the shims out and hopefully the pressure plate will go back to it's right position when I release the peddle. Any thoughts on this? The z bar moves smoothly forward and back when I have my son push the clutch peddle in and let it out, it's not binding. When I first had my son push in the clutch I was under the car watching the linkage and watched the diaphram go in it just did'nt come out. I loosened the bolts on the pressure plate and the diaphram released, and came back out the way it should. I installed thin washers like the guy from summit said, and repeated the steps but the diaphram still does'nt release, but it did come out farther this time. I have'nt tried to drive the car yet, as I thought I would run it by U guys to see what U think.

Does the pedal stick to the floor?
No. Zbar and linkage moves nice, when the clutch is pushed in the diaphram on the pressure plate does'nt come back. The pedal works fine. The guy at summit racing asked if it was the linkage as well but the pedal and z bar seem to be working I have a spring on the z bar and the pedal comes back up to where it is before I push it in. It's the pressure plate diaphram that is'nt releasing when the pedal is disengauged.

I think it could be the clutch fork binding or catching.Your linkage could also be pushing in to far.Try loosening the adjustment on the linkage.

I think it could be the clutch fork binding or catching.Your linkage could also be pushing in to far.Try loosening the adjustment on the linkage.
I have the clutch fork adjusting rod to where the play is taken out of the pedal, but not adjusted to where the fork is pushing on the throwout bearing, until the pedal is pushed. Is this right? Or is the clutch pedal pushing in to far. I just adjusted it that way to get the pedals somewhat even. With it adjusted this way the clutch pedal sits about a half an inch closer to the fire wall then the brake pedal. If I loosen the nut more the clutch pedal will move closer to the fire wall and the pedals won't line up as nice. I'm not sure how far the clutch fork is supposed to push the diaphram on the pressure plate in.

I've seen this before, but it has been a way long time ago and I can't recall the problem off the top of my head. Maybe it's a geometry thing and you are over centering the diaghram? Try losening the freeplay on the pedal until the clutch just disengages when you depress it. It's not a fix, but it could be an indicator.

Is this a true diaphram or a Borg and Beck three finger? If I remember correctly, and it is a true diaphram, you need to take the over center spring off of the pedal.

Is this a true diaphram or a Borg and Beck three finger? If I remember correctly, and it is a true diaphram, you need to take the over center spring off of the pedal.
It does'nt have an over center spring, in the picture of the kit I bought, It did have the over spring but apparently u cant trust some people on ebay, to send u what u pay for. I do have a spring from the clutch fork attached just behind the starder to pull the fork back. I ended up adding one more washer, and the clutch pushes in and releases the diaphram nicely. I guess I will try what the guy from summit suggested and drive it 20 miles or so and remove the washers and hope for the best. Now that the diaphram releases and the clutch seems to be working as it should for now, I do have another question about the transmission support bracket. The support tha holds the transmission in place, is attached to a bracket that runs up and over the trans and just under the floor pan, Do I need to trim this to clear my shifter linkage? I just cut the hole in the floor for the shifter and linkage, but am wondering if the 4 speed cars had a modified support of some sort. Or will the linkage clear the support? I've looked at pics of linkage on 4 speeds so i know the reverse goes under the support. But do I have to trim some off of the support that sits just below the floor pan to clear 1234 gears when shifting?

The over center spring is a large spring under the dash, on the clutch pedal. You need to have a 4spd hump to clear the shift rods, cross member is the same.

The over center spring is a large spring under the dash, on the clutch pedal. You need to have a 4spd hump to clear the shift rods, cross member is the same.
Thanks for the info, I plan on making a hump today maybe if I get ambitious enough I will. I am trying to hook up the shifter linkage, and am trying to find a picture of a 4 speed to see how the linkage goes. Thats why I asked if the support needed trimmed for the linkage to clear. Because I was'nt sure exactly how it goes. It does'nt have a over center spring, when I bought the pedal assembly off of ebay the picture I bid on did have a over the center spring. But when it arrived it did'nt have one. But it does have a little wire coming off of the pedle bracket, I am not sure what this wire is for. I know that little switch in front of the brake pedal works the brake lights but this wire hanging from the back side of the peddle assembly I am not sure of. This may need to be another post question. Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem with a diaphram pressure plate. I went back to the stock three fingure plate and all problems were solved.

-
Back