Measurement request

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Anybody got a RB / Hemi with a Roots Blower on it willing to grab some measurements for me, before i get knee deep into something i can't drive on the street?

I'd like to know how far above the dashpad the birdcatcher/snorkel sticks up. I'm limited to 2" above the top of the dashpad/in the line of sight for the car to be legal in PA.

Also, what blower (6-71, 8-71, bigger!), Fuel System (Carbs, EFI at the Blower, MPFI at the manifold), and Hat you're running to get that measurement.

I'd appreciate the info, so i know how to adjust my plans for this car. It's strictly a street car, but is getting built to my dream car specs. (A '71 Demon with a Supercharged Hemi 4-Speed, A/C, and other creature comforts like heated seats)

This may be no help......but with that said.......

Screw the state! wait hold on,,,,yup Screw the state! If it ends up being too high, modify the dashpad so the dash pad is higher. You could remove the dash pad....cut a new thicker dash pad shape from foam and have it covered with vinyl or leather. You can raise the rear of the car up too to make the car less horizontal which would make the dash pad technically higher. If the standard of measurement is from the highest point of the dash pad you could modify only a small section of it. Or if it is from the highest point on the dash, you could integrate a tachometer into the dash pad and have vinyl go over it. It would be higher, it would be part of the dash pad, and it would not look out of place. (I would use the hood tach style that came on a lot of pontiac's with the contoured plastic top)

How do they measure stuff like that anyway, do they have a standard method of measurement? Ohh and who is supposed to check this? DMV or cops when you get pulled over? Ticket from cops will be much easier to defeat IMO. I would move on and not look back. That law is defeatable!

Bad Shrimp

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/inspections/enhanced_si_guide.pdf

Page 18 & 38

It's checked at the Inspection Station (that'd be right here, at my shop.) and of course the cops like to keep an eye out for that kind of stuff too.

I thought about the Altered Dashpad too, and the Rake (jacked up rear) My '74 Duster has both of those, not intentional though. I was in my teens and didn't have any money to buy a dash pad, so i took my old crumbling one and covered it foam and then denim :cheers: It turned out to be about 1" or so taller than an original but you wouldn't know it. It was nowhere near in my line of sight, and with the rake it put me further above the dash anyway.

If a modified Dashpad would put me in a "safe" range, I'd be all for it and carry a Laser Level in the glovebox to prove its within the limit :p

Just skimmed through it. They use the term "dash line". All you have to do is create a new "dash line" thats within 2" of the hood scoop etc. I would think the wording "dash line" would indicate the height of the "majority" of dashboard/dashpad, so putting on a Dixie style tach covered with vinyl would not actually create a new dash line. Easy workaround though.

Agreed.

On another note, is that your Demon? That thing is beautiful! Same color that mine was/is too :thumrigh:

I've been considering going with an EFI Fuel Plate (with a Megasquirt controller/ecu) instead of Carbs, it will knock a few inches off the height of the Blower setup and give me more space to work with.

I took a measurement on my '74 Duster, and the height of the Intake, Blower, Carbs, and Hat is about 1" above the limit (with a 1" taller than stock dash). I don't know how much higher the deck/intake surface on an RB/Hemi sits when compared to a 340 though. Total height of the 426 Intake/Blower/Carbs/Hat is 21" (thanks to Dyers Blowers for supplying me with that info, they were more than happy to dig through the books to get the info)

Based on other measurements, the Fuel Plate is 2" thick vs 5" for a Carb (plus the Carb Adapter plate, which the EFI Plate replaces anyway). So that should knock 5" (give or take) off the total height.

yse this is my demon. the front parking light it 7" long. that puts the back on the injector hat about 5" off the cowel or about 3" up from the dash pad. the front of the injector is about 9" off the the cowel putting it 7" off the dash pad. the motor is a 440 with an indy supercharger intake and i have the motor sitting as high as i could get it. you motor may be sitting alot lower.

yse this is my demon. the front parking light it 7" long. that puts the back on the injector hat about 5" off the cowel or about 3" up from the dash pad. the front of the injector is about 9" off the the cowel putting it 7" off the dash pad. the motor is a 440 with an indy supercharger intake and i have the motor sitting as high as i could get it. you motor may be sitting alot lower.

That helps a bunch. I was planning on running an engine plate and dropping the engine down as much as i could without knocking potholes and speed bumps with my oil pan or exhaust.

I can't tell from your picture (the monitor on the shop computer is ancient), are you running Carbs or some kind of FI on yours?

-
Back