Measuring a drive shaft?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Getting ready to measure between the yolks, so I can have my drive shaft cut and balanced. When I put the tranny yolk in, should I fully seat it or seat it and pull it back a bit, so I can install the DS on the rear end yolk? When I took it off, it was a pain. Had no play to get the u-joint out of the rear yolk.
Thanks

First when you DO measure be sure the weight of the car is on the diff.

Secondly, I would highly recommend calling the shop you intend to use and ask them how THEY want it measured, some shops have different methods. Best all around, that way there is no miscommunication.

When I had mine done, I didn't need to put the slip yoke in, they had me take two measurements, one from the flat surface on the rear yoke to the tailshaft end, and another from the flat surface to the end of the output shaft. It came out perfect.

My local shop told me to jack it up under the axle and then put the front yoke in all the way in the trans. Then measure from center to center for the u-joints and subtract an inch for installation.

My local shop told me to jack it up under the axle and then put the front yoke in all the way in the trans. Then measure from center to center for the u-joints and subtract an inch for installation.

Exactly. See how much difference between the shop you used and the shop I used?

Kinda reinforces my point.

-
Back