Measuring for a diff (Part 2 w/pics)

-

Mopartist

Reaction score
Ive got my wheels and tires; and have positioned them into the wheel wells; in order to measure for a shortened diff width. It was originally a 7.25 diff, lowriding slant 6 car; so I don't have an idea of the leaf spring height once my leafs are mounted. It's cut out for tubs; and as you can see on the pics; the (mock) stance it's at now looks about right. So here's my questions:

1. How much should I expect for the leafs to settle; thus tucking the tire up further in the wheel well when it's all together? Is there a way to ballpark where the tire/wheel will actually sit when mounted on the diff and leafs?
(I drilled my relocation boxes with two settings; stock and 1 inch back from stock)

2. Then there's the consideration of the room to mouint the tire once the diff is in. Do I move the tire as far as I can toward the frame rail to maximize space for taking the tires off and on? As it is; I have a little over an inch of clearance on the frame side; and about an inch and a half on the quarter panel side.

Backspacing on my wheels is 4.5 inches; and it's a 29.5 inch tall tire

tire7.jpg

tire5.jpg

tire6.jpg

tire8.jpg

tire9.jpg

Killer, what's the section width and tread width? I have new super stock springs and they sat so high that I used a 1 inch lowering blocks to get mine sit a little higher on the tire than what's in you pictures. Sorry I really can't help you. It looks good though.

Lee

I used SS springs and initially the car sat much higher, but they have settled down nicely. The stance on mine is very similer to where you have your tires. I did not mini tub or anything, but I centered the tire in the well and had the housing cut to fit. I know for sure that 255/60 tires will fit, maybe 275's.

moparlee said:
Killer, what's the section width and tread width? I have new super stock springs and they sat so high that I used a 1 inch lowering blocks to get mine sit a little higher on the tire than what's in you pictures. Sorry I really can't help you. It looks good though.

Lee

These tires have a tread width of 10" and section width of 12.4". They are 265s. The new leafs are heavy duty 5 leaf. With the full tubs; I SHOULD have plenty of height in the well. (I hope) A member on another board told me he had problems with the tire swelling from centrifugal force and the fore/aft clearance was a problem, so i may have to trim

-
Back