Measuring the Headrest

-

shovhd

Reaction score
I'm ordering new seat covers from Dante's and I need to measure my headrest to see if it is 7 inches or 9 inches. On the enclosed pic, where do I measure from? #1 or #2 ?

Thanks

Nigel

PS: I'd get my wife to measure, but she isn't real good with measuring inches. (thank goodness):love7:

Dart Head Rest.jpg

Thanks RedScampi, I measured from the top of the pleat seam to the top of the head rest and got 9.5 inches. Close enough to call it 9 inches, I guess. Unless I've got a measuring problem as well.

Let me know how your cover install goes. I'd appreciate any tips.

Nigel

Well, based on your illustration it looks like you are measuring to the back welt cord - unless it's just the drawing. I measured to the front cord and got pretty close to 9". Of course there is a chance that 40 years of differing climates, etc. or variances in manufacturing might have caused that difference. At least we're sure it's not the 7 inch version!

Oh - it will be at least spring before I cover the seat - Too cold and wet right now. This should be reasonably easy. Get yourself a QUALITY pair of hog ring pliers and take your time. I did the entire interior of a 72 Cutlass a few years ago and I'd never done anything like it before - came out great!

Most of these places get the covers from Legendary. I would phone them as they know best. I have dealt with them and they are excellent to deal with.Phone 1 800 363-8804.Just my 2 cents worth.

Any suggestions on where to get a good pair of quality hog ring pliers? Should I get the bent or straight ones? I see Eastwood sells them on Ebag. Is that a good price?

Thanks

Nigel

Don't get the Year One pliers - they were crap! Broke on me the first day. I ordered a pair from Layson's because they are local and i figured I'd get them fast - guess what? Backordered! They look like good ones though - if I ever see them.

When I lived back in Kansas before I went to work for Layson's, I recovered the seats in my 68 Satellite, 70 Charger, and 70 RoadRunner(wished I had them all back now......<sniff-sniff>).

I bought my hog ring pliers at a "Farm & Home" store. I use the straight type of pliers as thery are a little easier to get the listing wires ringed from the backside of the seat bun. Also, get the spring loaded kind as they hold the hog ring in the jaws while you get it in position to clamp it shut.

If the handles are bare metal like most of them are, you might consider dipping them in some tool handle dip. After a couple of hours of hog-ringing, your hands will appreciate it.

In your picture, it would be photo #2. You measure from the top center of the insert to the top center of the headrest area. Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

72 Duster Integral Headrest (with Arrow).jpg

-
Back