meet ginger

-
once you have the disc brakes pulled let me know, i would be very interested in them
the AC parts i wont know what ill need untill i get to controlls fixed :)

we should get together and shoot the breeze sometime :)

Cool car! I would drive it for awhile with the slanty if it were mine but a 340-360 would be in the near future :glasses7:

Good luck with your new ride :burnout:

thanks 66340
thats exactly the plan
ive been driving it every chance i get while i scrounge up parts to get the 360/727 swap lined up
but the first weekend i have all the parts together im hoping to bolt it all in

Nice Duster.
If you upgrade the diff, a Ford 8.8 is an inexpensive very popular alternative that gives you discs and larger bolt pattern. Lots of info about doing it on this site, including my thread.

the 8.8 is not a direct bolt in is it?
im sure getting the jokes to match wont be a big deal, bit i would shy away from cutting and welding axle tubes (though i would have no problem relocating perch mounts...mhh perch

just looked over the Princess' log, good looking build

thanks 66340
thats exactly the plan
ive been driving it every chance i get while i scrounge up parts to get the 360/727 swap lined up
but the first weekend i have all the parts together im hoping to bolt it all in

Just take your time and enjoy your car, even if it takes a year. I would upgrade the torsion bars, brakes and rear before the engine swap....the suspension stuff is easy and can be done a little at a time.

Ginger is a good lookin girl ..... but the compliment go to your wife that is really cool that she bought you her and after all how women do you know that would pay for another woman to be in your life lol

the 8.8 is not a direct bolt in is it?
im sure getting the jokes to match wont be a big deal, bit i would shy away from cutting and welding axle tubes (though i would have no problem relocating perch mounts...mhh perch

just looked over the Princess' log, good looking build

Not a direct bolt in but relatively easy to shorten. Shortening can be done with a sawzall and basic welding. The typical deal is to shorten the long side and use two short side axles. This width fits A bodies. I have a set of custom made bushings that can be used to make sure it goes together straight. They are rented to another member at the moment.

i bounced the whole 8.8 idea off the wifey and she wasnt too excited about it
she said just wait untill you got the funds and do it right the first time...im pretty sure that means im gonna start looking for a suregrip 8.75 :>

Nothing wrong with that. She may think different if she sees the price of an 8 3/4 plus disc upgrade :)

What's "not doing it right" about an 8.8? It's not like you're restoring the car to factory. Sounds like you are looking for functional, affordable, and practical, right? There's more than one way to "do it right" besides a factory 8.75.

My wife would never buy me a car for me birthday, or any other day...lol

Your wife and the car are both keepers !

Your wife and the car are both keepers !

yeah they are :D

i ran the idea of the 8.8 by her, explained the financial and braking benefits of the 8.8 and explained the higher cost but ease of installment of the 8.75 and her response was "we're not looking to save money, just wait until get the money and then do it right"

maybe if i didnt have 2 kids running around and wasnt constantly working 10 hour days if not more the 8.8 would be a better option (im thinking if money was a bigger factor then time/effort the 8.8 would be "doing it right")

i explained i could do the work to make the 8.8 fit but she didnt mind me putting the 8.75 on the list of parts to look for

so if anyone has a nice one laying around let me know

One very nice thing about the 8 3/4 is if you ever want to change ratio it's much easier. You can even have two center sections with different ratios and swap them in an hour or so.

yeah they are :D

i ran the idea of the 8.8 by her, explained the financial and braking benefits of the 8.8 and explained the higher cost but ease of installment of the 8.75 and her response was "we're not looking to save money, just wait until get the money and then do it right"

maybe if i didnt have 2 kids running around and wasnt constantly working 10 hour days if not more the 8.8 would be a better option (im thinking if money was a bigger factor then time/effort the 8.8 would be "doing it right")

i explained i could do the work to make the 8.8 fit but she didnt mind me putting the 8.75 on the list of parts to look for

so if anyone has a nice one laying around let me know

Yeah, I get it, that makes sense now. Time is often at a premium around my house too. I just sold my spare a-body 8.75 about 6 months ago, so I can't help. In case you don't know, the hot tip for a cheaper 8.75 in a duster/dart sport is a 67-70 b-body rear. Can fit even better. Search for threads on it. I got mine complete for $125 with a 742 center.

:burnout::burnout:

Attachments

• 20150105_170223.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20150105_170236.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 172
  • 20150105_170243.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 170
thanks Rani, those look exactly like the ones I need :)

its OFF- MAX A/C- AC - HEAT - OFF right ?

Looks pretty decent! And you clearly have a keeper better half

Were it not for the fact that I found an 8 3/4" housing with axles for what I thought to be a good deal, I'd probably pursue the 8.8" angle...I could find them all day long out of exploders for $500 (or less depending on the guy behind the counter) disc to disc, with 3.73s and a trac loc.

On the other side of that equation, I've eclipsed that same amount on gathering parts for my 8 3/4" with a SG and 3.55 gears, and it's not even complete (still need to swap the gears in my carrier), and my crop the driveshaft about 2"...which you'd have to do regardless of which way you went. And you may be near some guys/gals with the 8 3/4s springing out their ears with sure grips falling from trees in a gear ratio you want...if that's where you are, man, I envy you, but the relative ease of modification and parts availability for an 8.8 swap are food for thought...

I have a few leads on 8 3/4 rears, but the way the engine is snowballing that will have to wait until the next round of bonuses anyway

woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

got the 360 in and RUNNING and DRIVING
even managed to roast the tires a little bit after getting some fresh gas in her today

the only big issue is an oil leak under pressure
im afraid the culprit is a poorly installed oilpan seal since I had to drop the oilpan to fix it after I installed the motor
im still hoping the real culprit is just a valve cover that needs to be tightened down or something similar but at least we're running

(and with that silly milodon oil pan at least there is plenty of oil to leak out)

-
Back