megasquirt?

-
From what I have read about the mega$$quirt system its not cheap,
in the long run unless you are using a Chevy engine. LOL. :(

What do you use for a bolt in distributor, was one of the unanswered
Mopar questions, when I looked at this stuff a few years back.

Edelbrock carb is easier to hook up.

I always liked the Chevy TBI setup,
and wonder if that could be made to work.

Yes, cost was a factor. Looking at v8efi.com shows great ways to cut those costs. No fuel rails at all. Intake is very simple. I plan on using 2 - 5.0L 65mm throttle bodies. I've found those used for $15 each. Without using Sequential Port Injection, there is no need for 8 injectors just 4 larger ones. I've actually figured out how to build the whole system for less than $700. Which is a little more than the cost of a high quality carb. As far I can tell, this thing will have amazing tuneablilty. (I'm also a geeky electronics guy who's completely fascinated with this setup.)

Greg

He're what I'm doing. I'm using a small block but the same can apply to your 440 since the firing order is the same as my small block and small block Chevy's.

I am using a 91-92 Camaro/Corvette ecm. The following link is for a guy making interface to program the ecm so you can program/tune it.
HTML:
http://www.moates.net/[\html]

The beauty of a setup like this is GM sensors are readily available. You can use the stock distributor to wire into the GM HEI module. 

Obviously this is not for the light at heart, but for less then 1k you can have a nice fuel injection setup. 

Any questions feel free to PM me.
J

cavemanmoron said:
What do you use for a bolt in distributor, was one of the unanswered
Mopar questions, when I looked at this stuff a few years back.

I always liked the Chevy TBI setup,
and wonder if that could be made to work.

Many DIY EFI type systems can utilize the factory Mopar electric distributor since it is a Hall Effect type distributor.

If you have a more advanced system that needs a cam sensor as well. Accel makes a distributor for the small block with a cam and crank signal (two hall efect sensors, a one tooth and an eight tooth)

The Cheby TBI setup is pretty decent, but it has it's limitations. Mopar Muscle Magazine used it in thier Diplomat that they built and setup for open road racing. I checked thier website and did not see it posted, but I have the issue at home somewhere.

Holley has a system using thier Commander 950 and a 4 injector throttle body, it's a little more pricey, but it's a complete system with no additonal items needed.

I think Mopar Muscle has an ongoing article about redoing a Belvidere (I think) and in the next issue (or it might be out by now), they were going to install a EFI system.

i don't have a megasquirt i have a haltech on my 76 280z datsun and efi is definately the way to go, i don't care what anyone says :) On the fly tuning is the only way to go, if i didn't want to keep my car original so bad i'd do the same thing with my cuda. 700 bucks sounds kinda expensive specially when they are only around 200 bucks for the kits on ebay for the unit that controls the spark as well. I'm a techy guy too and love my haltech really do wish i could efi my cuda would solve so many problems :D

-
Back