meguiars gold class carnauba plus

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
Cheers:

I have been waxing My Dart with Meguiars gold class Carnauba plus since about 3 weeks after my paint job. Each time it gets easier to apply and take off. I only drive maybe 100 miles a month and have about 5 coats on it. No Rain or Mud etc...

My questions are When is enough enough? and Should I switch to something more of a spray detailer for inbetween waxes? If more coats = better then I'll keep doing it when I get the urge.

Thanks for any advice. Also does anyone like the California Car dusters?? I usually just dust off with a MicroFibre cloth and start waxing.

California car dusters are decent.A beeswax base,meant for dusting the care lightly,more of a show maintence thing.I am not a fan of quik detailer,just personal.Usually,about 2 to 3 months,on daily drivers,I.I.R.C. My choice,would be once every 2 months,depending on paint applied.Adam,is the go to guy,on this one.He does it for a living.

I use the spray detailers in between wax coats. When the spray stops wiping off easy, its time for another coat ! I used to use meguires but have gotten hooked on surf city garage products, very good stuff I think !

Thanks for the quick replies. I was set on getting the CA car duster and Now I'm def. getting one. It's so dang easy to use the meguiars gold class carnauba plus because it's not a daily driver. So I won't really gain much from the Spray detailer's. I'll see what Adam thinks about it all.

I started to use jax wax. Comes off as easy as putting it on. I bought it at the nats in ohio last year to try and am pleased with it. Also have used the cali duster and am pleased.

I started to use jax wax. Comes off as easy as putting it on. I bought it at the nats in ohio last year to try and am pleased with it.
Thanks, I'll research it. Do you think that the Jax Wax Body Shine Showroom Spray Wax will work well with the meguiars gold class in between coats?

I use Liquid Luster if you can still find it. Its carnuba as well. No residue. 2 coats of wax is more than enough! Don't over apply wax. I use Dawn liquid dish soap to remove old wax then reapply. Trust me, I have trophies from my paint jobs!!

The painter didn't tell you NOT to wax for 90 days:violent1:?????? That is if its basecoat/clearcoat. If it is then don't be surprised if your paint job starts to bubble up here and there due to trapped solvents!

I use California Duster on all my cars.

The painter didn't tell you NOT to wax for 90 days:violent1:?????? That is if its basecoat/clearcoat. If it is then don't be surprised if your paint job starts to bubble up here and there due to trapped solvents!

Yup, you shouldn't be waxing fresh paint.

I use Liquid Luster if you can still find it. Its carnuba as well. No residue. 2 coats of wax is more than enough! Don't over apply wax. I use Dawn liquid dish soap to remove old wax then reapply. Trust me, I have trophies from my paint jobs!!

I Was told about 3 weeks. How long would these bubbles take to show up?

The 30-90 day option is like an insurance policy for the manufacturers, as they have no control over what someone may apply to their fresh paint. If the paint had a long enough cure, it usually did not affect the paint.

I've been using NXT Generation™ Tech Wax™ 2.0 Protection

My paint job is Dupont Imron with Dupont Imron clear on top of that, the painter said it would just be a waste of time to wax it but if I felt the urge to use Meguiars Mirror Glaze HI-TECH yellow wax #26. It only last about 3 weeks max and thats with it being garaged most of the time. I have micro fiber rags I use to dust it with and would use the california car duster if I had one. Im getting beat up by all my friends for using the super cheap Dawn dishwashing soap, the blue stuff works best LOL so I at least cut way down on it but man it sure makes my tires and wheels look brand new. I like the Meguiars #40 for rubber and vinyl stuff too. This picture is with no wax on it at all, just a fresh wash job, a bit too much sunlight kinda washes out the depth of the clear coat sorry.

Attachments

• 69144_1450903871982_1214794374_31139308_4227459_n.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 511
The 30-90 day option is like an insurance policy for the manufacturers, as they have no control over what someone may apply to their fresh paint. If the paint had a long enough cure, it usually did not affect the paint.

I've been using NXT Generation™ Tech Wax™ 2.0 Protection

I made that mistake once! ONCE! I waited 8 weeks then waxed with KIt and this happened,

Attachments

• 1 big bubble.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 537
I think a lot of it has to do with time of year. If you paint a car in August and let it sit outside, you can smell the solvents off-gassing and then eventually you don't smell it any longer. Doesn't take that long. Paint a car in December and it will take considerably longer.

I think a lot of it has to do with time of year. If you paint a car in August and let it sit outside, you can smell the solvents off-gassing and then eventually you don't smell it any longer. Doesn't take that long. Paint a car in December and it will take considerably longer.

You are somewhat correct!
Solvents are used to thin the product. Cure actually is a chemical reaction therefore needing the alotted time to cure. You put wax over a fresh coat of clear it seals the surace therefore solvents trying to evaporate are trapped below the wax. If its hot outside the solvents react faster causing delamination in most instances. Been there done that!

Found a good read on this topic....

Also keep in mind you never know what products are magically mixed in by the painter once it leaves the paint can...

One of the most often asked question (besides Leather care and Glass cleaning) and a subject that results in a great deal of confusion and misinformation regarding polishing or waxing re-painted panels.

Many paint company now say the 30-90 day recommendations are based on old paint formulations and the P-Sheets need to be up-dated in line with the latest paint specifications, although to my knowledge this has not been carried out by many companies as yet. Most paints can have a paint protection product (wax / sealant/coating) applied within 36 – 48 hours of painting. However I would still abide with the manufacturers official recommendations

Part I - Applying a Polymer Sealant or Waxing Re-Painted Surfaces

a) Polishing or Waxing Post-production Paintwork

1. Refinish paint products, materials and paint drying methods are very different from original equipment materials (OEM) specified materials.

2. This is only relative to re-painted surfaces that use a solvent –based paint. Modern environmentally friendly paint systems being utilized today are mostly water-base (EU- Sikkens, BASF, and Brillux), which evaporates quickly from the paint during the baking and drying process (US, only a limited number of painters are utilizing water-based pain, most are utilizing solvent based urethane)

3. Unlike the oven baking process used by OEM painting t he process used in body shops is just a speed cure. Urethanes drying causes an exothermic reaction, that means they produce a small amount of heat as they cure, by adding to the reaction, you accelerate it but if you don't it will just take more time but will eventually completely cure on its own.

The majority of refinish paint is supplied by BASF DuPont, PPG and Sherwin Williams is 2K (2 component paint + activator) polyurethane systems; one component is polyisocyanate and the second is a polyol (acrylic or polyester polyol). Solvent-based paints (which still constitutes the majority of what is still being used, low solvent content VOC compliant) once the two components react they form a strong polymer chain. Or a water-based paint, much more prevalent in European imports than US mfg vehicles

Newly applied paint is soft, much softer than OEM paint, while newly refinished paint is about 90% cured within 24 hours, although it does take up to 30 days for it to become fully cross-linked (even with the help of a drying oven and various additives).

That distinctive smell of paint is actually dibutyl and diethyl phthalate outgassing- two very volatile compounds

New paint needs to outgas for approximately 90 days (i.e. the solvents need to evaporate) if this is hindered by an inappropriate product application the clear coat may form a 'hard film' on top and the clear coat matrix may remain 'soft'. Most product data sheets (PSheet) state paint will air dry in 12 hours to buff and take 16 hours to fully dry.

Automotive paint is classified as a semi-permeable membrane; some chemicals, especially solvent based will penetrate a paint surface easily, others will just remain on the surface. A solvent or oil solvent emulsion will permeate the paint and fill the molecules causing them to swell. This will have an effect on the mechanical strength effecting both the paints tensile strength and elasticity

Current 2k (2 component paint + activator) polyurethane systems use chemical reactions to cross-link the clear-coat. Some body shops will oven cure them at approx 65.oF for 30 minutes and air dry over night or use an accelerator catalyst. Regardless, they still need to time for the solvents to evaporate (outgas) from the finish. By not allowing this process can create solvent-pop ‘like ‘fissures of the paint film and other issues.

During this period, using waxes or sealants that use a solvent as their carrier system should not be used since the solvents permeate the paint and soften it and if the wax or sealant contains abrasives, it can cause micro marring on the softened paint. The best products to use during this period are therefore water-based systems that are both solvent and abrasive-free.

Most paint shops use 10-20% more isocyanate component (hardener) than the polyol component. The reaction between these two (isocyanate and alcohol) is fairly rapid and that accounts for the 90% curing rate of the refinish paint within 24 hours. That leaves about 10% un-reacted isocyanate, some of these isocyanate groups slowly react with moisture (hence the term moisture cure) and form amine groups (releasing CO2).

The newly formed amine groups rapidly react with isocyanate groups to form urea or polyurea, which is much harder than polyurethane adding solvents to the paint, hindering this reaction, while water-based products can help the (moisture) curing process.

Professional painters add chemicals; accelerants and compounds to their paint mix prior to painting to improve flexibility, reduce paint imperfections, increase hardness, and improve gloss and some body shops heat it in a paint oven to harden the ‘shell’, it doesn’t reduce cross-linking times (this process is both temperature and time dependent) But I would suggest waiting for approximately ten to fifteen days before any abrasive product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing

a) When a body shop wet sands and buffs out a newly painted panel they will hopefully polish out any sanding scratches, unfortunately this is not usually the case. Polishing paint that is at least 24 hours old is perfectly fine.

As a conservative estimate I would suggest waiting for approximately ten to fifteen days before any abrasive product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing

Unless you are a very experienced detailer I would strongly advise against the use of heavily applied pressure and overtly abrasive products as they behave more aggressively on soft fresh paint. I would suggest you allow the fresh paint to fully cross-link (cure) before you attempt to remove any surface imperfections

Also be aware that plastics and those surfaces that have flex agent additives have a different thermal rating and will be negatively affected by applied heat very rapidly.

Fresh paint safe glaze’ - while a paint is cross linking, using solvent- based waxes or sealants is not ideal since the solvents penetrate the paint and soften it and will interfere with the outgas / cross linking process.

The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine or mineral oils(to produce a high shine) and a mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’ for the same reasons

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ water-based or polymer type product, Zaino Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) Optimum Car Wax is water-based and is safe on fresh paint, or use Presta Fast it’s a liquefied paste wax manufactured with premium, natural and synthetic ingredients. This unique wax can be applied over 24-hour old clear coat and single-stage finishes without risk of die back, because it creates a breathable film that permits solvents to cross the wax film. Allow an ‘initial gas off’ (evaporate) /cure aerobic process of 7 days before application

These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in a water-based paint to outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface. After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

Notes:
1. DuPont and , PPG recommend a 90 day period whereas BSAF advise 30 days; but any recommendation is dependent upon what paint, hardener, drying system, additives etc were used, the body-shop / paint manufactures know their products; seek their advice Paint manufacturer have specific technical guidelines (see ‘Product Sheet’ or P-Sheet) on how to use their products to affect a warranted spot/panel/ repairs or a full repaint. This preserves both the paint manufactures and factory warranty (if offered)

2. Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid it)

3. Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid car wash concentrates that contain any harsh detergents, alkali, acids, wax (recommended products- Zaino Z-7™ Show Car Wash, Groit’s Car Wash) also avoid car washes that uses a high-pressure spray, harsh detergents or brushes

4. Don't use a car cover until the paint is fully cured?

5. A paint film surface is a delicate thin coating easily dulled and very easily scratched, so choose carefully the advice you listen to and most importantly what advice you act upon.

6. Some Carnauba wax contains paraffin wax, which effectively ‘seals’ the paint surface more than a polymer due to its formulation.

7. The use of water-based products is highly recommended

Part II - Applying a Polymer Sealant or Waxing OEM Paint

b) Polishing or Waxing Production (OEM oven cured) Paintwork

Original equipment materials (OEM) specified materials are very different from refinish paint products and materials

Paint curing process; new cars go through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the cars paint to such high temperatures, these high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level ensure the paint is fully cured by the time the car leaves the assembly line.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) paint is cured at high temperatures; OEM paints are cured in a paint oven at around 320. °F (160. °C) for 20 minutes, in multiple oven zones where the paint is baked with radiation and convection heat, or infrared so that 90-95% of the paint systems out gassing has taken place, the additional 5-10% will cure within 2-3 days, it will probably be stored for one or two days before transportation, it is then shipped or transported OTR to a dealership and most likely be on the lot for a few weeks or more. So the vehicle’s paint can be waxed as soon as you take delivery.

By not applying some sort of paint protection soon after purchase the customer is actually damaging the paint surface instead of helping it. Salesmen that advise a customer not to wax a car for 3-6 months are relying on old paint methods and are misinformed about the latest paint technology. The newer paints are catalyzed (a chemical reaction that cures the paint) lacquers and enamels needed an extensive time for the solvents to release, with modern water-based or reduced solvent content paints this is not necessary.

This is a huge problem in dealerships because customers tend to take the advice offered by a salesman who usually knows nothing about paint, rather than a trained paint professional. This goes a long way to understand why fairly new vehicles paint surfaces are in such bad shape even after a relatively short period of time.

You are somewhat correct!
Solvents are used to thin the product. Cure actually is a chemical reaction therefore needing the alotted time to cure. You put wax over a fresh coat of clear it seals the surace therefore solvents trying to evaporate are trapped below the wax. If its hot outside the solvents react faster causing delamination in most instances. Been there done that!

Ummm, tell that to the UV cure/bake light companies. If you experience delam, it is most likely due to a different issue.

I was told to allow the paint to "off gas" for at least 90 days.

Ummm, tell that to the UV cure/bake light companies. If you experience delam, it is most likely due to a different issue.

LoL! No need to tell anyone, see my sig! The blue Falcon was dried in a downdraft booth with ten UV dryers. Makes no difference. It is a "Chemical" cure on urethanes. Yeah, UV helps the "Drying" process not the cure process. Two different situations.
It was fine until the wax was applied after 8 weeks. It still popped. Been around paint since Laquers. No newbie here.

I always wait a few months before waxing a newly painted vehicle.....The fresh pain is still out gassing solvents and you don't want to trap them or you may end up with blisters in your paint job.

No Delam or bubbles here. Paint's been on since 2-24-12. I'm guessing it'll be finethanks to the NC sun but no big deal If I gotta repaint it. $hi%, I never had an orange Mopar yet.

No Delam or bubbles here. Paint's been on since 2-24-12. I'm guessing it'll be finethanks to the NC sun but no big deal If I gotta repaint it. $hi%, I never had an orange Mopar yet.

Well heck,
that was six months ago. If you have no issues by now you lucked out! Just remember these opinions on your next paint job.

I have sat through many hours of classes on the refinish process and all state the same thing, 90 days unless its a waterborn product. Down here there are only a few shops using that crap. Those damn tree huggers are causing that! If there are tree huggers here they are on the wrong site LoL.....

Have a nice day folks. :D

Well heck,
that was six months ago. If you have no issues by now you lucked out! Just remember these opinions on your next paint job.

I have sat through many hours of classes on the refinish process and all state the same thing, 90 days unless its a waterborn product. Down here there are only a few shops using that crap. Those damn tree huggers are causing that! If there are tree huggers here they are on the wrong site LoL.....

Have a nice day folks. :D
Thanks Man, I was actually a bit worried. It's not like was a $10,000 Show paint job anyway. Just basically a gift from a friend. I wouldn't trust my Paint work to anyone else though. I gotta ask him why he said 3 weeks to a month would be fine. He did specify Carnauba versus Synthetic wax though.

-
Back