Melling M72HV Mod ???s

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
Ok, not really a mod to the pump other then I opened up the hi pressure side to 1/2" with a drill, same as my block, all choked down oil passages have been opened up as per the oiling mods thread by Guitar Jones. But my inquiry is to solve a problem on the intake side being choked off with regular screw in pick-up tubes. I thought my Canton road racing pan with bottom plate pick-up had solved that problem but I've come to the conclusion that TTI 1 7/8" headers are a no go on the rear sump pan. So I'm back to considering the Milodon road racing pan with the choked off press in style pick-up. So how about I press that pick up into my pump, plus use the Canton pick-up bolted to pump but cut off the pick-up leaving enough room to clamp a hose to it and then run the hose down along side the Milodon pick-up clamping together so its not free to flop around and the add the screen from the Canton pick up to end of hose. So now I'd have dual pick-up into one pump? Question now, is that to much volume for the pump to suck into it? Should I choke down the hose line to a smaller I.D. like 3/8" or 1/4" or something? Any thoughts or ideas?

Gurus? Anyone? Whats max volumn this HV pump can draw into it, and will it work correctly sucking from screw/press in port and from the bottom at same time? Maybe I should talk to manufacturer.

I don't have experience to answer your question,however,when Mopar had the Kit Cars they used the hole on the pump body and the bottom plate to feed the pump.It was also tied to the single pick-up.If you have an old DC catalog with Kit Car pieces in it,there is a picture of that set-up.
I am planning on using a rear sump pan with a pick-up off the bottom of the pump:what does the Canton set-up look like? Bob

Thanks for the info...if you scroll down the link I have attached you can see Guitar Jones pan and pickup. My pan is pretty much identical, I don't really see the difference, maybe slightly deeper since he had to modify the pick-up. The picture of the pick up is identical to the one I have, which is a match to my pan. Pan is 11-502 and pickup is 11-503. I didnt realize how tight the headers come in at the rear of the motor. I ordered the Milodon pan already, so when the headers arrive I will be able to post for sure whether the TTI 1 7/8" W2 style fit, with either or neither. I'm running Indy 360-2 heads on my stroker.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=103623&page=2

What I would probably do in your case if it's feasible is to use the bottom feed pickup from the Canton pan and fabricate a new tube to feed the new pan. It will require fabrication and welding but it shouldn't be bad. The only real problem I see may be clearance for the tube at the rear of the pan in which case you may need to deepen that somewhat to fit, but you won't have to kick it out so the headers should still fit.

Good luck with that and let us know how you make it work.

Will do GJ, let you know when I get on it. Still waiting on you to show pics of proper pump setup over on your oiling mods thread ;-)

No prob, wasn't in a rush. If I was home I could just post a pic and you could tell me if its correct, I believe it is but I want to be 100% sure. Cheers

-
Back