Memphis

-

EdM

Reaction score
My wife and I are on a ten day road trip out of the Texas Hill Country. We spent a couple of days with friends in New Orleans that we met at our place in north Idaho. We left and headed to Memphis for a couple of days and from where I type. We headed to Sun Studios and it was stunning. I am a music guy and to stand in the simple place that such great music was made was, well, simply great. From there we headed to St. Jude Children's Hospital and I was brought to tears. What a story, what a place. I well have known of the program and recall Danny Thomas lifting it in the day. I signed up for a monthly contribution. Walking in will move any good soul.

If you're heading more north toward western Kentucky it would be great to meet you and your wife! Have a great time on your trip and stay warm -- it's unseasonably cold already.

I lived in Memphis for nearly 5 years and still own a house there that is rented by a friend that I worked with back then. It is an interesting town with lots of music history. I worked across the street from Sun Studios and around the corner from Sam Phillip’s recording studio. Our corporate attorney was one of the Elvis “Memphis Mafia” members and was Elvis’s personal attorney back In those days.

The town is a mixed bag of ultra poor, middle class and ultra rich all living closely to each other. It can be exceptionally violent, crime ridden, sweet, compassionate and gentle all in one breath. Confederate civil war statues standing side-by-side with MLK statues.

Hot as hell in the Summer, tornadoes and violent weather between seasons and mild Winters.

I’m glad I lived there for a time to experience it...but also glad I left it behind.

I lived in Memphis for nearly 5 years and still own a house there that is rented by a friend that I worked with back then. It is an interesting town with lots of music history. I worked across the street from Sun Studios and around the corner from Sam Phillip’s recording studio. Our corporate attorney was one of the Elvis “Memphis Mafia” members and was Elvis’s personal attorney back In those days.

The town is a mixed bag of ultra poor, middle class and ultra rich all living closely to each other. It can be exceptionally violent, crime ridden, sweet, compassionate and gentle all in one breath. Confederate civil war statues standing side-by-side with MLK statues.

Hot as hell in the Summer, tornadoes and violent weather between seasons and mild Winters.

I’m glad I lived there for a time to experience it...but also glad I left it behind.

I WAS STATIONED CLOSE TO MEMPHIS FOR A WHILE , IT AND ST LOUIS ARE THE TWO DIRTIEST PLACES I`VE EVER BEEN !

Back in the 90's I made a few trips from Missouri to Memphis. The number of early B bodies sitting around yards was huge. Then I was back there a couple years later....NONE!!!! They got on a clean up campaign I guess or passed some sort of ordance!?

If your in Nashville you should head down and check out Muscle Shoals in Northern Alabama while your so close, Ted Stevens Mopar salvage yard is close there too.

We had a great time in Nashville and are heading to Little Rock in the morning for a half way break in our ride to Tyler Texas to visit son #2 for a couple of days. Then home to Boerne Texas. I do appreciate the comments...

-
Back