-

PROSTOCKTOM

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
MEN'S HELP LINE – Letter of the Month

Dear Tom,
I really need your advice on a serious problem:
I have suspected for some time now that my wife has been cheating on me.
The usual signs:If the phone rings and I answer, the caller hangs up. She goes out with the girls a lot. I try to stay awake to look out for her when she comes home, but I usually fall asleep. Anyway last night about midnight I hid in the shed behind the boat. When she came home she got out of someone's car buttoning her blouse, then she took her panties out of her purse and slipped them on. It was at that moment crouched behind the boat that I noticed a hairline crack in the outboard engine mounting bracket. Is that something I can weld or do I need to replace the whole bracket?
Thanks,
Joe

Dear Joe,

Preventative maintenance and safety checks should be high priority for any boat owner. It's a good thing that you caught the crack before it developed into a real problem, that could really put a damper on the day when you're out on the water.

At any rate, I would start the repair by removing the bracket from the motor so that you can fully assess the extent of the damage. Drilling a hole at each end of the crack will stop it from spreading further. i suggest grinding fillet the length of the crack and clean it well before welding the area. apply a suitable coating after the repair is complete to ensure no further damage occurs from rust.

Review the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer as to avoid additional damage to the component or vessel. It is always good practice after a repair to do a visual inspection and walk around of the craft. The last thing you would want is for a failure to arise when you are out on the lake dumping your wive's body. Once back at dock and loaded, a secondary check of your work should confirm that all of the trouble was worth it.

A good fix carried out properly is a weight off of the shoulders and a clear mind.

Your friend,
Tom

-
Back