Met an E85 carb builder last night

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I was at the North Saint Paul car show two weeks ago and saw a 79 Trans Am with E85 stickers on it but never found the owner. Last night I caught him pulling into a parking spot. He told me he loves his E85 and took me a few cars down to meet the guy who builds them. His name is Rob Mix and I talked with him for a long time. He showed me his car and the dyno sheet. 1309 HP at 7000 rpm and 986 ft/lbs torque. It was on the cover of Car Craft mag a few years ago. We talked carbs. I love my Edelbrocks, and he does them, but for street or strip power he recommended Holley. I asked him about whether I had to change gas tanks or fuel lines. He said his car had the stock steel tank but was checked for rust, and had stock 5/16 steel lines. He replaced the rubber hoses and that was it. He is here in St. Paul and I am going to have him build me a carb. He has a tip sheet that you fill out so he can tailor the carb to your car. Here is his website. Let the fun begin! http://www.e85carbs.com/

Thanks for the info! I wonder how different they are compared to the guys over at raceone85.com. I've been talking to them mostly about the conversion. They said that they put the carb on a 454 chevy motor and tune the carb on that. I wondered how well that will translate to a 416 small block high compression motor though? I don't know much about tuning yet. It has me thinking on how well that carb will be tuned for my motor since it was tuned on a 454. I like the fact that your guy has a sheet to tailor the carb to the motor it's actually going on. I may call them and have a conversation about what all they do.

-
Back