metal brake lines

-

Phily

3XL, loud pipes, loud music, loud weed
Reaction score
Anybody else have a problem with the lines. I have to try a few different ones before the line. Connecting to the caliper in the drum doesnt leak smh. Any pointers or maybe can I find some rubber ones to replace it with. Just seems a hassle to spend 30$ on brake lines just to get one to fit proper

Where are you getting your lines from? Local auto store?

Ya oriellys. I have to bend then to shape

Might try a new wheel cylinder first. Maybe the hole is damage?

It's a brand new cylinder. And I didn't mean caliper earlier lol. I replaced the lines the first time as I need to drive it home and no brakes. So I went to replace the rubber lines and the metal ones didn't come free at the rubber line side so I replaced them too. The pass side I had to buy three lines and the driver side went on no prob. Now the cylinder acted up and I replaced it and I knew the one I had replaced was gonna give me issues again, sure enough it did. So I bought 2 new lines cause I bought a cylinder for the driver side to replace next time I want to work on the car. Both failed me on the passenger side again, and I'm like wtf, you metal lines hate me lmao although I'm not really laughing too much. So here I am needing to go out and get another line. I would dick with em and try to get it to seal better but last time I sat there a good two hours and not working so ya no more. If it doesn't work and I play with it a bit then it just ain't working, or so that's how I feel

O and it's my 76 dart. I guess I'm unlucky even in that cause in 76 everything was suppose to be disc brakes. But mine was built late 75

Well that's number three today and no luck still leaking. Maybe I'm not getting it tight enough? It's a pain to get in there with a 3/8 snap on wrench. I even got the wrench made to help it from getting stripped and to help with stripped when they are.but it feels nice and snug. I even went from finger tight then a little more tightening with the wrench and up to when I can't turn it anymore and no luck. I have one more brake line before I turn into the hill and throw my car through my neighbors window lol. No I'm about to call a mechanic that is abhuddy of my old boss and see what he would charge me to come over and do 5 minutes of work. I just hate spending money whenni know I can do it. I can do almost anything. Just these brake lines are gonna be the death of me

The fitting is English not Metric. Are you getting the correct line?

Yep standard lines not metric.

They go right in like they are supposed to. Feel good threading in. Not crossing threads or anything. Just once it's tight and I pump the brakes it begin leaking out or shooting out if you pump fast. Should I maybe tighten down the side going to the rubber line then fight the cylinder side. I've been doing cylinder side first once both have began threading

The double flare right? Here's some pics. These are from Autozone the others I had were a diff make I think but the same. I didn't want 12s I like the 10s better. 8" is what came on it originally when I started but they ran out last time and 10" seemed easier to work with. Regardless I can them them all to fit back there no issue there but that's what I'm working with

IMG_20170409_200610.jpg

IMG_20170409_200536.jpg

Well I'm gonna be picking my tools up and tossing em in my trunk. I'm done for the day. I really want to get this back on the road as I bought it as a DD for my fiance for her birthday in October.

Well I'll be going back out there soon and if this 4th line doesn't fit I'm gonna by a stretch of line and just cut and flare it mysel and give it a lil fatter of an end.

OK I got it figured out. Some just sucked. But mostly I had to get another line wrench that pivots. Then had to use a crescent wrench to turn it cause I couldn't turn it at any angle except at 90°. I'm guessing that while it felt nice and tight it just wanting sealing properly. I got it now. I have done both sides in Sept or october and didn't do it like this before. I got lucky I guess. Still gotta do the passenger side wheel cylinder. Last time the driver side was no problem at all, should go smoothly again.

I've had good luck with lines that didnt want to seal on first tightening by loosening and retightening them a few times to help shape and seat the flare.

-
Back