Metal Buildings, best company to use, also wood construction ?s

-

roadrunninMark

Reaction score
I am looking to put up a detached garage and I am leaning towards a metal building (for the following reasons: price, ease to install, no termites, and strength). The size would be about 30' X 50' X 12' (for a lift) and built on a slab (haven't poured yet). For those of you that have installed or have one, I would like you feedback. I've looked at a view companies, VersaTube, Ironbuilt, Heritage, and a couple of others. I like the idea of ease of VersaTube but it is pricey for what it is. I am leaning towards Ironbuilt as I like that they have thicker, wider seals where the metal meets.

Is there a way to "termite proof" a wooden structure? I thought a wooden one would be easy to build in my own timeframe and I am comfortable building one this way (built a good size shed before). I can match the house easier with a wooden structure too.

Thanks

The termite treatment is applied under the vapor barrior (Plastic sheet) before you pour. As long as you follow the codes pertaining to the spacing between the siding to the ground and you treat properly before the pour you should be OK.

I had a metal building constructed with gable ends only- no front or back walls.

I then went to Lowes and ordered matching sheet metal panels, purchased 4x4 posts, and ordered roll up doors to my specifications (one with an opener).

I set the posts, mounted the panels, and hung the doors myself.

Oh, I also installed a man door that I found at a scrap yard.

It would have been $7,500 more to get those options from the builder.

It cost me about $1500 and my own labor, at my own pace.

I have seen a lot of the versatube style buildings around and the price always seemed cheap but there are a few things to consider, I don't know where your at in Georgia but the one thing that comes to mind is how do you insulate the metal buildings? I know that northern Georgia can get pretty cool in winter where you would need heat and I know for a fact that the southern areas are only slightly cooler than Hell in the summer so you might want some insulation. Stick built garages are easier to insulate, wire for electric, and hang stuff on the interior walls. If your doing it yourself it would seem that the stick built would be the best bargain since half the lumber in the country probably comes from Georgia anyways. Just food for thought.

here is s w Missouri I can throw a rock in any direction and hit a pole barn co.! LOL plenty that build the "steel" bldg. too. I build my own. saves labor costs. I p ay more like retail i'm sure for the materials. the roof metal comes in a roll, it then runs thru a crimper. 5-6 co. with 30 mi that does that. ya can go to lOWE'S AND GET " CONTRACTOR" PRICE ON THEIR HIGH PRICED WOOD. who hits the caps. ?????

I would put up pole bldg. then nail 2 x 4 to bottom of rafter, sheetrock that for ceiling, and blow in insulation. for attic. glad your paying! LOL yes pour slab, treat prior for termites. I would make my walls studs of 2 x 4 and sheetrock that with 6 in. insulation bats therein. do it yourself if inclined, pay someone to do it if rich! LOL

you can get insulation in rolls that go under the roof tin. not a big r value but helps some. mainly vapor protection. use 4 x4 or 5 x 5 for poles. rent a one man hole digger unless you have a tractor with auger. nail treated block at bottom of pole. helps keep it in ground. if you can't drive a nail, this means naught.......

I had a metal building constructed with gable ends only- no front or back walls.

I then went to Lowes and ordered matching sheet metal panels, purchased 4x4 posts, and ordered roll up doors to my specifications (one with an opener).

I set the posts, mounted the panels, and hung the doors myself.

Oh, I also installed a man door that I found at a scrap yard.

It would have been $7,500 more to get those options from the builder.

It cost me about $1500 and my own labor, at my own pace.

This sounds like a pretty good option with a small compromise; paying to have the main structure erected, then doing your own walls later. One suggestion, have them put the metal up in the traditional way; vertical. Some of the 'carport' style sheds I've seen around here have the metal running at a right angle (horizontally) which is cheaper, but not very good in my opinion.

Pole barns are by and far the cheapest way to go and they are great for "barns" but not so great for garages sometimes.I know this because I have 4 pole barns and 2 block garages.

My walls are horizontal, but I paid $150 extra for a "vertical" roof.

The amount of tree related debris and FL moisture is a loosing combo for a metal roof that can't drain off.

never heard of horizontal metal! WOW. I was raised in s w Ga. seen plenty of concrete block buildings, seemed like to me damp, hard to heat. maybe being gone out of the south since '79. my memory is fogged!

one thing I have seen is a gravel floor in enclosed pole barn used for garage is hard on a car stored in it. Needs concrete floor.

around here pole barn tin is either 26 or 29 gauge, choice of painted steel, or galvalume. metal is roungly $60 a square for the lighter stuff painted, I figure the lumber per square ( 100 sg ft), costs me bout the same. people use rood screws or ringed roof nails. screws best, takes more time. so the roof for a section that is 12 x 12 figures about 1 1/2 squares. or $120. no sides, no concrete. no labor. ( I work for nothing! LOL)....

everything in Mo is probably cheaper than most areas.. best thing to do is visit with some car guys in your area and ask around bout everything.... good luck..

this one is about 3 years old

30x40 $13k delivered to my house. the only thing i added was the roll up door, $1400 installed, and the walk thru $350 a buddy and i installed it. as anyone would tell you, the only thing i'd do different is to go bigger ! the building and door are rated at 140mph.
4 cars and stuff easily fits, a 2 post lift is coming ...

I have a 35 x 50 x 14 metal building on a concrete slab. Two things, when the temp changes fast things condensate. The slab stays cold and the air warms up. You know like a cold beer on the bench. And pay the extra for insulation. There's only a couple of times a year it sweats bad. I turn the ceiling fans on. The insulation keeps it bareable in the summers here in Fla.

Where in GA are you located? There is a metal roofing co. in Macon, part of a chain with a couple other stores I think. The metal is thicker and much better than what you will find at Lowes or Home Depot. Also, you get the metal cut to length that you need. 12' for the walls, or 40' for the roof. If I were doing it again I would look at pole barn wood framing and metal walls & roof.
C

I am in Fayetteville. All great ideas so far, I appreciate it. If you guys have pics, that be nice too.

Morton Buildings. 5,000 psi concrete is necessary for a lift. If the slab is insulated, condensation canbe reduced. Also makes it easier to heat/cool

I used elephant structures...carport.com

24x41 installed for under 6k. Vertical roof with enclosed side, back and front gable options. Took 2 months for it to show up and 2 days they installed it. It has held up to 2ft plus of snow with no issues. For the money I couldn't beat it. No taxes in my county either since its considered portable. Fits 7 cars tightly.

Mine is a Pioneer Pole building 24x32 with 10' ceilings and make sure if do anything have the roof insulated under side! Also have sofit vents -I have 0 (ZERO) condensation problem

Attachments

• 111510 087.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 504
  • 211 007.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 529
  • lift.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 504
  • left side.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 501
  • 211 008.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 502
  • 211 010.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 530
Stick build it to match you home.
Property value will go up much more than a ugly metal one.
I would also consider adding a bathroom, the next one I build will have one.

If you spec it correctly, a metal building will also add value.

I've gotten LOTS of compliments from my neighbors about mine.

The metal one will add value, but in the long run the one that matches the house will raise property value more.
I have both, one that matches my house and a metal one I built two years ago, I wish now I would have spent the extra money to stick build the metal one I built.

If I had it to do over I would have built a cbs block building. Little more $ but worth it. But what I have works for me. Just make sure you insulate it and roof vents or exhaust fan.

My metal building matches my house.

Dwire67's structure is quite attractive, no?

-
Back